6. "A pair of extra hands"

Song: Ariana Grande - safety net.

'I can't believe you...' Y/n huffs as she crosses her arms over her chest. She's glaring out the window to whatever they pass.

Not even 5 minutes ago, Peter and Steve caught up with Alissa and y/n, dragging them into a car to bring them back to the place Alissa suggested. Much to Y/n's dismay.

'It's safer this way.. that's what you wanted... I trust Peter...' Alissa replies from the backseat, holding hands with the boy.

'So how are you-' Steve tries to start a conversation, but Y/n is not having any of it.

'Don't you even start Rogers' Y/n cuts the man off, huffing as she sinks deeper into the passengers-seat. He focusses back on the road ahead of him again, a bit frustrated that she won't even have a decent conversation with him.

Peter looks at Alissa, as if asking her what is going on between his older brother and her older sister. She shakes her head slightly. 'I'll explain later.' She whispers.

'Y/n...' he sighs, she rolls her eyes. 'I'm on your side-'

'Oh..' she lets out a pained chuckle. 'Are you now?, you sure have a weird way of showing it...'

'What do you mean?'

'Ooh..' comes Alissa's voice from the backseat making Steve's eyebrows knit together as he turns his head to Y/n again.

'Oh so you're trying to tell me that you being on our side, whatever the hell that means... you show by calling the cops on me right after I told you?'

'Steve why would you do that?' Peter asks from the backseat.

'I didn't...' his reply is full of confusion.

'Yeah right... you didn't.. that's why I still can't move properly!' She retorts, fuming in her seat.

'I didn't y/n!, I waited two hours for you!, you didn't show!'

'Because I was laying half dead in an alley!, right after you send that text! I have to walk around with this scar for the rest of my life because you couldn't handle the truth!'

It gets dead silent after her reply. She feels the tears brimming her eyes but she catches her lip between her teeth to stop herself. How could he lie about this right to her face? Is being honest so damn hard?

They decide to spend the night at Steve's. Much to Y/n's dismay.. again. She has trouble putting up with the man that caused her so much pain and suffering. He's a constant reminder of her most happy moments in life and the worst.

'Are you guys okay?, I heard something happened-' Jenny's panicked voice comes through the speaker of Y/n's phone.

'We're fine Jen... we Uh.. had help..were actually staying over.. we will be back tomorrow...' she stares out into the streets of New York. It's so vibrant, even late in the evening.

'Where?'

'Downtown New York...'

'Do you need me to pick you up tomorrow?'

'No.. I'll be fine...' Y/n's sigh makes Jenny more worried than she already was.

'After what happened... Justine was on tv Again..' Jen sighs with a hint of disgust lacing her voice.

'What did she say?' Y/n asks slowly bringing her fingers to her lips. She unknowingly starts chewing on her nails. Her own nasty habit.

'She told the people that it's another heathen gone rogue, she started whining about being careful and how dangerous we are...' Jenny's tone brings a small smile to Y/n's lips, even though it's not that funny, Jenny's fake whiny voice makes her smile somehow.