5. "Meeting strangers"

Song: The Score - Miracle.

Alissa stops in her tracks as she sees her date sitting in one of the booths.

Are you ready to go in?' Y/n asks and Alissa nods fiddling with the bottoms of her dress.

'God I hope he won't react the way your guy did...' She comments.

'I sure as hell don't hope it for him too, I might just put a bullet in him...' Y/n mutters a reply.

'Y/n!, why do you have to be like that?' She groans out of embarrassment.

'Kidding!, sort of...' she shrugs.

'I mean it... you keep your distance, you're gonna scare him away with your-'

'Intimidating looks?' She interrupts her sister.

'Personality...' Alissa fills in her blank and Y/n nods.

'Okay, I'll keep my distance, but the moment there's any danger, we're out and I'm dragging you with me if necessary...no fooling around...'

'Deal...'

Y/n and her little sister make their way into the diner finally,. Alissa sees Peter and immediately he stands up and smiles. From a distance he looks okay, he's just like any other teenager, he seems nice and he lights up when he sees Alissa. But Y/n knows that it can be quite deceiving.

Y/n sits down in the booth in front of them, her back to them so she can still hear their conversation, but she won't stand out to anyone.

'Peter...I need to tell you something...' Alissa starts with grabbing his attention already.

'Yeah anything...' his voice is cute and innocent.

'But it needs to stay a secret...'

'Of course...' he smiles sweetly. 'You know you can tell me everything..'

As Y/n is listening to their conversation she watches her surroundings closely, even though nobody can see their eyes, there's always a chance someone recognised the face.

Alissa takes off her glasses and he sees her different coloured eyes.

Y/n closes her eyes and sucks in a breath, afraid of the reaction, that sentence takes her back to the night she told him. That night one month ago where everything changed. Her nails dog into the red, leather seat below.

It seems something so little, so unimportant. Having Two different eyes. But in this day and age, it's a sign of magic, power, it's a dangerous thing to have. People are arrested and out in camps almost daily. Given "treatment". The government is secretly getting rid of every single one of them, you trust the wrong person and you end up dead...

'I don't care, I'm not afraid or anything, you're still the same...and by the way it makes you even prettier than you already are...'

Alissa laughs and it's music to her sisters ears as she blows out the breath she was holding, that laugh she fails to create and he just made it reappear in seconds after years of it being buried.

'I like you for you...eyes won't change that...and also, have you noticed that creepy lady sitting behind you?' He whispers and Y/n smirks.

'That's my sister, she uh, wants to protect me...she told someone and he freaked out and called the cops on her, just precaution...'

'I was starting to think she was gonna kill us...' he sighs relieved.

'Trust me, I wouldn't let a booth stop me... and I'm also still debating..' Y/n chimes in climbing out of the booth and sliding in next to Alissa.

'I'm Peter...' he reaches for Y/n to shake his hand and she hesitates for a moment before smiling and actually shaking it, surprising Alissa.

'Y/n...' she smirks at the boy before continuing. 'I like you Kid....but if you hurt her...just so you know...I carry a variety of weapons...' she winks and he chuckles nervously at her, silently asking Alissa to help him.

'Y/n... seriously...' Alissa hisses and Y/n laughs.

'You're scaring him!' She playfully shoves Y/n and she stumbles to the side, making her fall right into the arms of a stranger.

Quickly Y/n balances herself on her feet before apologising. She looks up after she did and her heart stops for a second, a surge of panic coursing through her.

'It's alright, I don't mind you bumping-' he stops mid sentence as the supposed stranger and her lock eyes.

Shit, it's him.

'Hey Steve...' Peter says.

Okay don't cause a scene.

'Alissa, we're leaving...' Y/n orders not breaking any eye contact with him as she slowly reaches for her gun tucked away in the back of her pants.

'What?, why?' Alissa asks offended.

'I-it's great to see you again...' Steve stammers nervously.

'Wish I could say the same, Alissa come on...' Y/n gestures Alissa to get up.

'I can just stay here with Peter...you can go...'

Y/n turns to Alissa and then it finally hits Alissa why Her sister is so determined to leave.

That man is the one guy that could break Y/n, that made her so overprotective, that made her so cold. The man that snitched on her sister and got her beaten up so bad she couldn't move for a week.

'Y/n wait...let's talk..' Steve grabs her arm and she purses her lips before looking at him again.

'Do not make me pull a gun on you Rogers...' she sneers at him lowly.

'What happened?, why are you mad at me you didn't show up...' he furrows his brows.

'Well I'm sorry I was too busy fighting off the cops you send for me...' she rips herself loose and straightens her jacket before grabbing Alissa's arm and storming out, leaving both Steve and the whole diner in shock.

Steve looks around the diner and sees the owner reaching for the phone.  He hears her give some information and he turns to his little brother.

'Peter we have to go...' Steve breathes as he looks out the window to find Y/n and Alissa.

'What?, why?' He protests.

'Because that lady just made a call to the police, they're going to arrest them...'

'What?!' Peter says rushing after both of them with Steve trailing close behind.

'Y/n!, Alissa!, wait!' Steve yells but he gets an angry glare from you.

Alissa stops running making Y/n frown. 'Do you have some kind of death wish?!'

'They can help us Y/n...'

'If you think I'm going with him than you're possibly the most naive person I've ever met...'