3. "falling apart"

Song; Post Malone - I fall apart.

Steve rushes to the front door of his parents house. He quickly opens the door and rushes in, shutting it behind him again.

'Steve is that you?' Mary, Steve's stepmom asks.

'Yeah yeah it's me...' he replies grumpy.

He is soaked to the bone. He was supposed to leave the bar earlier, to avoid getting rained upon. But of course Sam, Bucky and Natasha pushed him to stay way longer than he was supposed to.

A lot has happened in the past few days and he needed to get his mind off of it. So naturally when Natasha, Sam and Bucky called to meet up he agreed right away.

But now, standing in the hallway, the clothing sticking to his skin, he regrets it dearly.

'You gonna come out here son?' His dad, Joseph asks.

'I'll go take a quick shower, change into something that isn't wet and then I'll come eat dinner...' he replies with a hint of annoyance lacing his voice.

'Alright...' Joseph responds and Steve makes a beeline for his bathroom upstairs, almost bumping into his stepbrother Peter along the way.

He walks into his old room and goes straight to his bathroom, he slowly starts peeling away the many layers of clothing.

A flash of a memory hits him, he really wishes it didn't. His thoughts go back to Y/n and him standing in the bathroom of his own apartment back in Brooklyn.

Right after he and Y/n  had dinner it started to pour as the two walked home right through the storm. He had taken her hand, pulled her in his arms and kissed the woman so passionately that it had rendered her completely speechless.

Then they hurried to his apartment, went into the bathroom and just stared at each other for like half an hour. Sharing brief kisses and whispering sweet nothings. He remembers like it was yesterday. And he misses it. He misses her.

He misses waking up next to her. he misses taking her out on dates and he misses the lazy days in his apartment where she'd lay with him until one of them fell asleep against the other.

He still doesn't fully understand what went down that fateful night, but whatever it was, it gave her reason not to ever want to speak to him again.

No more phone calls, no more texts, nothing. And it had hurt him deeply. Within seconds, he lost the only person keeping him upright. Making him slip right back into his old habits.

And with the rest of the city being in complete chaos after more information got out about "heathens", the people with different eyes, he has the feeling everything around him is falling apart. So why would he even try to be his good old self?

'Honey, I'm worried...he's falling back into his old habits again...' Mary dries her hands as she walks out of the kitchen.

'I have no idea what he has gotten himself into lately, I have no idea what happened that made him go back to drinking way more than he should...' she sighs, shaking her head at her stepsons antics.

'You know, I caught him smoking out his window when he was staying here a couple nights ago...' she points out. 'do you think that we should maybe talk to him?' She asks her husband.

'I know him Mary...he won't open up...not to me...not to you...not to anyone...' Joseph sits down at the dinner table throwing his hands up in defeat. 'The mind of that boy will forever remain a mystery to me..'

'Maybe if you just make him sit down right here, maybe he will lay it all on the table...'

Joseph shakes his head, 'He's too stubborn...' He sighs as he urges Mary towards him. He takes her hand in his and gives her a small smile.

'Always has been and always will be..'

'He's got that from someone...' Mary replies.

[ the heathen was found hidden in one of the...]

'Turn that up will you?'

Mary immediately grabs the remote and turns up the volume. She nervously watches the news, fiddling with the remote still in her hands as the news anchor goes on about Justine.

'I wouldn't trust that woman even if my life would depend on it..' Joseph groans. 'She's a shady one...'

'I don't trust her either... I don't think she's telling the truth... they can't be that dangerous right? They seem like normal people...' Mary adds on.

'They are...' Steve almost startled his parents when his deep voice fills the room. 'She's talking shit...'

'Language Steve...' Mary sighs. 'Sorry Ma..' he apologizes immediately.

'I just hope it won't escalate.. there's no telling what Justine will do if they decide enough is enough...'