xxxi. looking before leaping

˗ˏˋ⋆ H E A V E N L Y ⋆ˎˊ˗↳  𝒙𝒙𝒙𝒊

↳ 𝒙𝒙𝒙𝒊. 𝒍𝒐𝒐𝒌𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒃𝒆𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒆 𝒍𝒆𝒂𝒑𝒊𝒏𝒈
𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘸𝘰𝘭𝘧, 𝘴𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘵𝘸𝘰

(𝔅𝔞𝔱𝔱𝔩𝔢𝔣𝔦𝔢𝔩𝔡)

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

          "YOU DECIDED," DEREK TURNED TOWARDS ERICA AND BOYD. "WHEN?"

Erica looked reluctant to tell him. "Tonight."

"Everyone's gonna be at the game," Boyd explained. "We figured it was the best time."

"It's not like we want to," Erica spoke up after a few seconds as Derek and Gracie just stared at the two.

"What do you want?" Derek asked the blonde, stepping towards her and Boyd.

"Since I just turned sixteen a month ago, I wouldn't mind getting my license," Erica answered him. "I can't do that if I'm dead, you know."

Gracie bowed her head, thinking about Erica's words. She understood where they were coming from. When Derek bit Victoria Argent and she had to commit suicide because of their ridiculous code, he had declared war. The Argents weren't going down without a fight.

Then again, neither were they.

But Erica and Boyd weren't family; they didn't know what was at stake. They didn't want to die because of who they were or what pack they were in. It made sense, but the Hale girl couldn't ignore that betrayed feeling that was gnawing at her. It was all just so...

Complicated.

"Well, I told you there was a price," Derek reminded them. 

"Yeah but you didn't say it would be like this," Boyd defended themselves.

"But I told you how to survive," Derek raised his voice. "You do it as a pack. And you're not a pack without an alpha."

"We know."

Gracie raised her eyebrows, surprised at Boyd's statement.

"You wanna look for another pack? How are you even gonna find one?" 

"We think we already did," Erica told her. "We were running in the woods last night and all of a sudden we heard all this howling. It was unbelievable."

Gracie shared a look with Derek, both feeling that sense of betrayal. Her brother was the one who bit them, the one who gave them the gift of lycanthropy.

"There must have been a dozen of them, maybe more," Boyd smiled in amazement.

"Yeah or maybe only two," Derek burst their bubble. "You know what the 'beau geste effect' is?" They shook their heads. "If they modulate their howls with a rapid shift of tone, two wolves can sound like twenty."