Chapter 10: The Grieving, A Cold Truth

"It's a long story. So please, sit down." Four mushrooms popped up and Jera sat down on one. The trio sat down one-by-one. Once they settled she bowed her head and began to speak.

"Six decades ago..."

Jera entered the dimly lit office with a look of concern when she smelt the smoke in the air which let her know that her friend smoking a cigar. "Scarlet, you said you'd stop. Those things will kill you one of these days."

"After this pack yes. I don't like wasting things."

Jera let out a sigh before walking over to a window and opening it. "At least open the windows for some airflow."

"Uh-huh." Scarlet opened the other windows before sitting down. "I need you to do me a small favor."

"Yes?"

"You know how some of the higher Generations are doubting me?"

"Yes."

"I need you to go to them. And tear them down. All of them."

Jera stood there in complete shock. "But.. no." She shook her head. "I'm not doing that. There are innocent people there. How do you say that so casually?"

"Innocent people that don't respect me at all. I need them gone. Once they come for me, they'll come for you too. You're my right hand man, well, woman."

"No. That is my final decision." She turned and went to leave. "That's no excuse."

Scarlet narrowed her eyes. "Listen, let me put it this way." She sat up as Jera froze in her spot. "What do you think will happen once we're gone? Me, you and the other Council members. What do you think they'll do to my faithful civilians? The ones I've been protecting for ages? Those other nine leaders don't want me around because one, I'm a woman. And two, I am the second to obtain control over gravity. They're jealous because I got to where I am faster when it took them years!" She had put her cigarette out.

Jera shivered slightly. She hadn't heard Scarlet angry ever and the weight of the gravity was starting to make her legs tremble. "I'm sure we can convince them in a non-violent manner.. we can come to good terms."

This isn't working at all. Scarlet let out a sigh. "Fine. It's not like they haven't already threatened me and my position, questioned my abilities and loyalty, and insult my lineage. Yeah I'll just let all of that slide." She turned away with a grin. "And I guess I'll let them get away with what they said about you."

"Me..?"

"Mhm. disrespectful things at that. And you're still young."

"What did they say..?"

"Well, Jonah says a blind woman shouldn't be working at my side due to safety precautions and you'd only endanger yourself. Galloway says that you're a fool to be deceived by a snake like me. I don't think he knows Ora is a woman." Scarlet rolled her eyes. "I told them to buzz off but that only sparked more conflict. The last thing I told em was that karma was going to come and hit em where it hurts."

"You want me to be that karma..?"

"Exactly! Think about it! Nobody will doubt you! Ever!"

"I don't think I can do it. It's not right."

"C'mon. Think about it. It won't be too bad. They know how to survive better than us! Remember, we're basically at the bottom here. Doing this will actually help a lot of people. And you like helping people, yeah?"

"Yes, I do, but there has to be another way."

Heh. She's always been so difficult to persuade. She let out a fake sigh. "Well I've thought about negotiations but their all stubborn old men who will only leave us their leftovers. I want to build an empire for the safety of my civilians."

"And what about theirs?"

"They're against us too." She's still young. Manipulation is fun.

She shook her head. "No. I don't think this is the right idea."

"Okay fine. The first three Generations are starving . There's already under a thousand people left. With ALL of them combined."

"Why didn't you tell me? I could've went down there and grew fruit and-"

"Because people need more than that. I'm sure the vegans would be pleased but those who aren't vegan would have to change their whole diet. That's not easy for everyone. Even if they were desperate."

"Mm.. you're right in a sense.."

"Don't do it for me. Do it for them. The people. Our people. The children."

"If you think this will solve things. Then I guess I'll do it. I want to help them in anyway I can."

"Perfect!" She clapped her hands together with a wide smile. "You'll be recognized as a hero to them! Those old men will come begging for mercy and when they do, we'll let them in under some conditions."

"I suppose.. when should I..?"

"Don't worry. We'll do it together and you'll get all the credit. BUT we absolutely cannot touch Ora's sanctuary. She'd kill us on sight."

"Okay. That makes sense.. All of the credit though..?"

"Yep! Every last bit!"

"Okay.. oh. I wanted to show you something."

"What is it?"

Jera smiled and produced and a small glowing flower whose petals were just starting to bloom. "I call it The Eternal Blossom. I want you to have it as a thanks for never giving up on me."

Scarlet felt a pang of guilt as she took the flower with a smile. "Thank you. I'll take good care of it and I'll leave it in here." She sat it in her window.

"Good! I hope it helps you stop your habit."

Scarlet chuckled. "Yeah yeah, whatever. We'll go tomorrow night. That is all. Goodnight."

"Goodnight Scarlet." Jera bowed and left the office, unaware of what Scarlet was truly plotting.

The sun rose and sent again, the moon taking its place. It was time. Scarlet stood next to Jera on top of the Railshot, a fast bullet train, as the cold wind blew past them. Scarlet was wearing a small device that could teleport her wherever she tossed a small disc. It was only a prototype made by scientists Grim and Karito.

"Alright! Are ya ready?"

"I'm getting second th-"

"Don't worry!" Scarlet interrupted her hastily. "They have the most knowledge and resources. This is only a trial run. And they already know what's coming because I informed them of it. So it's a challenge for them. If they survive a week, they can have my resources for the next three seasons."

"That's risky for us."

"I know. That's why I said they all have to survive. If they're such great leaders then they'll know what to do. Now, enough dilly-dallying. Let's start! I'll go first so stand back."

Jera nodded and moved back as Scarlet lifted up one of her hands and held it out towards the rails that would hold the Railshot. With a twisted grin, she slowly began to ball her hand into a fist. As she did, the rails creaked as they began bend and crumple. The lights on the railings flickered quickly before shutting off as Scarlet swung her fist upwards, tearing off the rails in one movement. The loud noise from her destruction startled and scared off any small birds or animals in the area.

"That is how the beginning of The Grieving began."