Chapter 3 - Friends

"Jamie, can I grab your opinion on something," Remus asked, glancing across the balcony to his bandmate. 

It was just before sunset, both boys sat on the balcony of their apartment, a few cans of beer scattered across the table as they steadily made their way through a pack of cigarettes. James only nodded, taking a swing from his current can as he turned all of his attention to the brunette. 

"Right, so it's still a bit rough around the edges but I think I like the way it's going at the moment." With that, Remus scrolled through his voice recordings until he found the one he wanted. 

A deep, slow, heavy beat started to flow from Remus' speakers, instantly making James begin to nod along. He was right, it was definitely rough along the edges, but James felt like the rawness only added to it, made it stick. 

Girl, tell me what you're doing on the other side,

And tell, just tell me what you're doing with that other guy. 

'Cause I 'ain't got patience to slow down the pace, 

All your girlfriends are wasted, 

They need it, they chase it.

Oh, James like this, it was different from most of their songs but he immediately knew it would fit. He could imagine it on stage, dark lights, the backing track low and loud in his ears, eyes closed as he belted the lyrics to the fans. 

"Jesus Moons, how do you keep topping yourself? That's fucking fantastic. Yeah, I see what you're saying about it being a bit rough but I really think that fits with it," James nodded, knocking knees with Remus as he noticed the embarrassed smile across his face. 

"What do you say we finish that up tomorrow in the studio and add it to the set list?"

Remus only nodded, slotting another cigarette between his smile. "It's called Friends, no idea why and I have no idea where it came from, but I'm pretty fucking proud of it. Glad you like it, Jamie."

"Well," James started, holding up his can and urging Remus to do the same. "Cheers to Friends."

***

The band had spent the next two days entirely in the studio, tweaking and polishing and recording Friends, the song eventually turning into a fine tuned piece of art that made Remus flush with pride. This wasn't the first song he'd written for the band, by any means, but it felt different for some reason. It was a delve into a different type of music and the brunette had been nervous that it wouldn't sit right with the band. 

"That was amazing, as usual, guys," Mary said through to the band in the recording booth, being met with wide smiled from the four of them. "I'll send this over to Minnie and see what she thinks, but I think you'll have the all clear to add it to Thursday's setlist. Now come out here, I need to speak to you properly."

The four of them filed out of the small room, situating themselves around their manager. While Minerva was the one calling the final shots, a perk of being the CEO of a record company, Mary was their life-line. Fixing any minor things, setting up most of their shows, shutting down any bad press before it even made it to a different part of the UK, let alone across the pond. 

She was their knight in shining armour. 

"So, I've been talking  Minnie and we've been discussing something. Another tour, specifically. Thoughts?" The band immediately became more excited, the idea of touring again making their hearts beat faster.