Part thirty-five

-𝗖𝘂𝗹𝗹𝗲𝗻'𝘀 𝗛𝗼𝘂𝘀𝗲-

The tv in the living room was tuned to CNN

The tv in the living room was tuned to CNN. A female reporter with a mic does stand up in front of Pike Place.  "Police are baffled by the escalating murders and disappearances," the reporter announced.  Carlisle and Sora are watching with concern. Emmett was draped over the couch. Bella and Edward entered. Elizabeth and Ruth were standing next to the table in the living room. Audrey was on Jasper's lap as he wrapped his arms around her, bringing her closer to him.

"Theories range from a vicious new gang to a wildly active serial killer... Reporting live, Dawn Chubai. CNN," the reporter signed off as the tv is shut off.  "It's getting worse. We're going to have to do something," Carlisle spoke up.  "It takes more than one of our kind to cause the damage they're reporting. Quite a few more. They're undisciplined, conspicuous...," Jasper added.  "Newborns," Edward deduced.  "What, like new vampires?" Bella asked.

  "In their first few months after the change," Edward answered.  "That's when we're at our most uncontrollable, vicious, insane with thirst," Sora spoke up. "Something to look forward to," Emmett smiled.  "Emmett, you're such a man-child," Audrey looked up at him. "I know," Emmett smiled.  "No one has trained these newborns, but this isn't random," Jasper continued.  "Someone's creating an army," Elizbeth realized.

"And they weren't keeping it under wraps," Ruth added. "The newborn armies I have heard of had to be wiped out by the Volturi."  Jasper nodded. Emmett rose, enthusiastic.  "Oh, now we going to Seattle," he smiled.  Audrey notched an eyebrow at him.  "An Army of vampires?" Bella asked.  "Yes," Ruth confirmed.   "And they've been created to fight someone," Jasper answered.  "We're the only clan even close to Seattle," Edward added.

"Regardless of who they were, if we don't put a stop to them, the Volturi will. I'm surprised they've let it go on this long," Carlisle stated. "Maybe they're behind it. In Italy, I read Aro's mind," Edward explained.

"He wants me, Audrey, and Alice to join him. Our gifts would shore up his power. He would want to have his hands on a witch like Audrey. She's the only witch he wants. Could be because of her mother. He knows we'd never choose him as long as our family is still alive. An army could solve that for him."  Bella took this in. Audrey can see that she is trying to make a decision. "We can't wait two weeks for graduation; you need to change me now," Bella asked them.

"Audrey."  "It can help," Audrey sighed.  "You'd be a liability as a newborn. Unable to control your instincts. An easy target," Sora responded.  Carlisle placed an empathetic hand on Bella's shoulder. "There's also your father to consider. And your mother. How terrible would it be for them if you suddenly disappeared?" Carlisle asked her.  Bella couldn't argue and considered this possibility as she and Audrey locked eyes.

-𝗔𝗯𝗮𝗻𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗲𝗱 𝗖𝗮𝗻𝗻𝗲𝗿𝘆, 𝗦𝗲𝗮𝘁𝘁𝗹𝗲 𝗛𝗮𝗿𝗯𝗼𝗿 𝗙𝗿𝗼𝗻𝘁-

SMASH! A newborn vampire careened into the wall, cracking bricks. He fell to the ground at the feet of Riley, who spun on a second newborn.  "Next one who starts a fight gets his arms ripped off!" Riley roared at them.  Riley stepped over a human man lying on the ground, barely alive. Newborn #2 watched hungrily as Newborn #1 dove on the man, taking what was left of his life. There are another dozen newborns of both genders who feed, lounge and fight.