Part thirty-nine

-𝗔𝗯𝗮𝗻𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗲𝗱 𝗟𝘂𝗺𝗯𝗲𝗿 𝗬𝗮𝗿𝗱-

Riley led the army of newborns across this ghostly yard. They move at a trot, leaping over pyramids of rotting logs. As they headed for the water, Bree followed, doubt on her face.

-𝗪𝗼𝗼𝗱𝘀-

Jacob ran with Bella, maintaining a steady jog, effortlessly carrying her weight. She held onto him, his mind heavy with concerns. On the other trail, Seth carried Audrey as he concentrated on the memory of the trail.

-𝗣𝘂𝗴𝗲𝘁 𝗦𝗼𝘂𝗻𝗱 𝗕𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵-

Eerily, Riley rose from the water. Muddy and drenched but unfazed by the frigid water. They don't break stride as they simply head for the woods. One by one the rest of the army appears behind them. They followed Riley, picking up speed. First walking, then running; an unstoppable force. At the rear was Bree.

-𝗪𝗼𝗼𝗱𝘀-

Jacob and Seth carried the girls, climbing the mountainside, going up and up as they reached the campsite.

-𝗠𝗼𝘂𝗻𝘁𝗮𝗶𝗻-

Jacob, Seth, Bella, and Audrey reached the peak where Edward and Jasper waited near the tents

Jacob, Seth, Bella, and Audrey reached the peak where Edward and Jasper waited near the tents. Snow falls in earnest now, glacial winds blow, and Jacob and Seth set Audrey and Bella down. They hurry to the left side of the peak to find a campsite, erected against the sheltering face of the peak. Jasper and Edward stood by the tent pacing, waiting. They're acutely relieved to see their mates. They hugged them and turns to Jacob and Seth.

"Thank you," Edward thanked them as Jacob nodded. Audrey turned to them as well. Mostly Seth. "You should get back before the storm hits," she asked. "No, I'm staying. You'll need our connection to the pack, to keep tabs on what's going on," Seth replied. "Jake will be here as well." Edward looks down, none-too-happy but knowing they were right. "You're not going to fight?" Bella asked.

"I'll go down. Seth is staying here. He's not happy about missing the action, but it'll keep him out of trouble," Jacob added. Edward noted her disappointment. But he covered, guiding her toward one of the tents. "Let's get you inside," he asked as Jasper led his mate to the other tent.

-𝗢𝘂𝘁𝘀𝗶𝗱𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗲𝗻𝘁-

Snow blew sideways as the wind battered the tents. A light glowed from inside.

-𝗜𝗻𝘀𝗶𝗱𝗲-

A lantern burns. Audrey's wrapped in her down sleeping bag, fully dressed. But her teeth still rattled. It's that cold. "I should have chosen a site lower down," Jasper apologized. "No, It's fine. I'm okay," she told him, knowing that he hated seeing her so sad. "What can I do?" He asked, to which she can only shake her head. Suddenly the front zipper opened to reveal Seth. "Are you okay?" He asked. "I can't sleep with all that teeth chattering going on."