September 2022 | Protego by @anotherweaslette

About the author: anotherweaslette

Leia writes under the pen name Leia Oakley. She's currently a bit busy renovating her home and being a mum but no matter how deeply she's entangled in life, she always find my peace in writing stories

About the story: Protego

Being the twin sister of the famous Harry Potter would make your life an adventurous journey

Being the twin sister of the famous Harry Potter would make your life an adventurous journey. At least that's what you would think, wouldn't you? Being Ember Potter was everything; everything but adventurous. 

Growing up with Harry in Little Whinging, Surrey, Ember was the plain opposite to her brother when it came to dangerous and threatening events, and Harry was busy keeping it that way. 

Things dramatically changed when their 4th year at Hogwarts started and the girl living in the shadows was suddenly enlighted by the spotlights in a more than unpleasant way.

1. What is the thing you love the most about writing on Wattpad?

From the first day I started writing on Wattpad, I always found it fascinating that people from all over the world were able to read my stories. Now, I truly appreciate the benefits that came along, like I have learned so much about the different countries and the people living there, and it also helped me to improve my writing in a way I never had even thought of. It's a bit like traveling, you could say, when you find a kind of education you didn't know you were looking for. Even the mean comments and critics taught me a lot, not only about writing, but about myself. I'm really grateful for this experience, and I hope that Wattpad and its users will never stop to educate me.

2. Protego is a story about Harry's twin Ember, why did you choose to write it like that?

Even before I knew fanfiction existed, I always wrote stories about the Harry Potter books. Back then it were one shots, and they mostly were about Harry's twin sister, where I imagined myself as her. It made me feel like being a Hogwarts student myself, and it helped me through a rough time in my life. Whenever I felt the real world crashing down on me, I escaped to this magical world in my head. When I found out about other people writing those kind of stories, I started reading loads of these kind of twin stories, but I soon got bored, then even disappointed, because while they were well written, they mostly hit the same plot — what I call the Harry Potter twin cliché. In every 'How To Write A Harry Potter FanFiction' book, they say: Don't do a twin story! And I thought, 'challenge accepted.' I wanted to create a different kind of twin fanfiction, one that didn't come across these overused tropes. To today, I really hope I didn't fail my mission.

3. What are your favorite details/scenes in your story? 

I like that Protego isn't all about a love story, but more about Ember's development and the many struggles growing up — of course including her first experiences with falling in love. Quite a bunch of my readers think, I didn't tell the love interest from the start and chose to give her more than one possibility throughout the story to cause nothing but drama, while I really wanted to show that those insecurities and confusion about her feelings is just part of growing up. Most of us fall in and out of love more than once in a lifetime, do we? I really loved having her growing up from an insecure and shy child to a brave and confident young woman.

4. Any hobbies besides writing?

Oh yes, I'm in love with being creative in many ways, so if I'm not writing, I'm probably drawing or sewing, or just rearranging the living room. Also, I'm always carrying a camera with me. Photography is just an obsession of mine. 

5. Favorite Hogwarts subjects? 

If I had to choose one of them, it'd be Charms, I think. Learning all those useful spells would be a great fortune to a lazy lady like me. But I also am fascinated by magical creatures, and I love all kinds of animals, so I'd most probably join Hagrid's class!

6. What is your future project? Do you plan to continue writing Harry Potter fanfiction?

I'm currently rewriting Salt & Lemon and Slow Burn, both are Fred Weasley fan fictions. When I'm done, I definitely will continue writing Harry Potter fanfiction. I don't know what's coming next, but I hope I will enjoy the process of writing whatever it'll turn out to be just as much as I did while writing Protego.

----------------------------------

Thank you for joining us! Support  the author at anotherweaslette