6. Three's a Crowd

Thorin's POV

I sat quietly, pondering Materia's words despite myself. The dwarves around me conversed idly amongst themselves.

She wouldn't leave us to flee on our own unless she was near death? Her words struck a cord in me, making my heart ache. She'd been a dear friend to me near the end of Erabor's days, my heart telling me there was more to my feelings than simple friendship; the idea of her likely being gravely injured when I had thought the worst of her made me feel a guilt that I tried my best to push down.
I'd have preferred to continue hating her rather than come to terms with the fact I'd been the one to abandon her, not the other way around. Where'd she been then? I'd searched for her in the halls closest to the gates. It hurt to realize that she must have been further into the mountain when I made my escape.

How did she get out then? How did Smaug not destroy her if she'd been left in the mountain?

With a sigh, I decided I'd have to ask her these questions when she came back. My face hardened as I realized there was an 'if' involved in regards to her coming back. Lifting my gaze from the fire, I peered through the trees, trying to spot the white mane of her horse through the darkness.

Instead, I saw the panicked faces of my nephews as they sprinted towards us. I sprung to my feet, hand going to my hilt as they came into view of the others.

"Fili. Kili. What's happened?" Dwalin asked, getting to his feet at the same time as the rest.

Kili tried to catch his breath as Fili spoke. "Trolls. They've taken some ponies. Bilbo's gone to try and get them back.. but we must go to help him!"

Everyone sprung into action, grabbing their weapons from the ground around them and following the boys back into the trees. I paused in following them, glancing in the direction the elf had gone. My teeth ground together for a moment before I shouted for her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Materia's POV

"Materia!"

I stopped in my tracks and spun around, looking back in the direction of camp at the sound of Thorin's voice.
Without a second thought, I sprinted back, changing direction as I heard him call my name again from within the trees to my left. I stopped just outside a clearing where I found the dwarves, all with their weapons drawn, looking at three massive trolls, one of whom had Bilbo in his grip.

"You what?" A troll asked, as all the trolls focused on their new visitors.

"I said, drop him." Kili growled out as the other dwarves moved to stand around him as backup. I placed my hand on my sword, remaining in the trees. Within a moment, the dwarves were all swarming around the trolls, swords and axes swinging through the air as the large beasts tried to grab the men.

It didn't take long though before everyone froze.
"Put down your arms, or we'll rip 'is off!" A troll warned, bringing everyone's attention to two trolls that had hold of Bilbo's arms and legs.
Thorin glared up at them, glanced once quickly around his men, and then stabbed his sword into the ground. The others followed, dropping their weapons.

I watched in amusement as the trolls rounded half the dwarves up into separate sacks, the other half getting tied to a spit to be roasted. Bilbo piped up after a few minutes, trying to persuade the trolls to not eat the company, and while the trolls had their backs to me I began to move.

"Traitor!" I heard Thorin shout among the dwarves' complaints. I looked to him, finding him at the far side of the clearing in the pile of sacks.
Realizing it wasn't me he was talking about - he hadn't noticed me - I moved through the thick trunks around me until I had a side view of what was going on. I caught Bilbo's gaze.

"Keep stalling." I mouthed to him, and he nodded before he startled one of the trolls - who had our thickest dwarf, Bombur, held above his mouth - telling him that the poor dwarf was infested. Knowing he'd keep the trolls occupied a little longer, I hurried back towards camp, searching out Gandalf, who'd left shortly after Thorin rejected going to the Hidden Valley of the elves.

Thankfully, as I broke through the trees again, I found him returning to the camp, looking puzzled at the sight of the empty bedrolls. "Gandalf!"

He turned to me. "Ah! Materia, where's everyone gone?"

"Currently, a few of them are getting a nice and toasty over a fire, with the help of some trolls over that way." I said pleasantly, pointing back the way I'd come. Gandalf stared at me a moment, irked some by my amusement at the situation, before he hurried off. As he left, I moved to the campfire, snuffing out the remaining embers and beginning to roll up the various sleeping pads while I waited for Gandalf to rescue everyone.

The sun was rising, bathing the camp in pleasant hues of orange and pink, when a loud crack resounded through the forest, followed by guttural screams of pain.

Soon, some of the dwarves came back, grumbling about the ordeal.

"Materia!" Our company's youngest dwarf, Ori, greeted me, running over and surprising me with a hug. "You came back!" He mumbled into my chest. A tint of pink dusted my cheeks as I gently pushed him away from me.

"Well, someone had to be here to let Gandalf know you were all in danger, hm?" I said softly, giving him a little pat on the head. He gave me a happy little nod before going to gather his belongings. His brother, Dori, gave me a nod of thanks, as did the other few who'd come back.

I helped the few dwarves that returned pack everything up, before they led me back to where the others had gone.
An awful stench hit my nose as we approached the troll cave that the others had gone to raid.
"Ah, ugh... what a terrible smell." I grimaced, crouching near the entrance of the cave and peering down at the dwarves who were burying a chest.

"We're making a long term deposit." Gloin, a dwarf with a fiery beard and a personality to match, explained to Dwalin, who rolled his eyes. In doing so, he spotted me.

"Where've you been, lass?" He growled.
Behind him, Thorin and Gandalf turned to look at me. The king glared at me while the wizard gave me a soft smile.

"Don't be too angry with her. If not for her, I wouldn't have found you lot in time." Gandalf said as he noticed Thorin's scowl, which softened into a look of questioning. He moved towards me, a dusty elven blade in his hand.

"You heard me?" He asked, to which I nodded.

"I did. I got to you in time to see you all get prepared for dinner, and decided Gandalf would be better help for you." I said, standing and turning away from him. He followed as I went to stand near where Ori and Dori were gathering the ponies and checking them over.

"Thank you." Thorin said beside me, and when I looked at him, he was staring straight ahead, eyes unfocused as they tracked Oin and Bombur approaching with the two horses and tying them with the ponies again. "For coming back." He added when I stayed quiet.

I brushed a hand over his shoulder, dusting away a twig and some leaves that were matted into his fur  coat. "I signed a contract. I live to serve."
He looked up at me again, looking into my eyes for something, before letting out a small huff and going back to the cave to call the stragglers out.