8. Reparations

Thorin's POV

As Materia's dress tore, my eyes followed as it ripped down. My heart caught in my throat at the site of the grooved skin on her back. I walked towards her slowly, reaching out with one hand to push the fabric aside as the other ran fingers along the scars. She tensed under my touch.

It doesn't end there.. The thought made me swallow, glancing up at her face as she watched me from the corner of her eye. Slowly my eyes dropped back down, my hands gripping either half of the dress, before I  tore it completely down the middle, making her flinch. My eyes scanned further down, until they found the end of the scars on her thighs. My fists balled up in the fabric of the dress.
"Does it hurt?" The words came out without thought, as my fingers moved to her upper back, tracing the scars again.

"Not terribly." She said softly, stepping away from me and holding the two halves of the dress together behind her hips. She went to her wardrobe to pull out a thin nightgown, leaving my view through a side door to change. I sat on the edge of her bed, running a hand through my hair.

"I'm sorry." I called to her. She stepped back into the room in the shift and gave me a questioning look. I sighed. "For the way I've treated you. And for what you went through. If I'd gone farther to look for you, you might not have had to suffer after Smaug attacked you."

She came to stand in front of me before kneeling, looking into my eyes as she put her hands over mine, where they sat tightly clenched in my lap. Warmth spread in my chest at the contact. "I didn't show you to gain pity. Or to make you feel guilt. And if you'd come for me, your people likely wouldn't have their king now."

My hands turned in hers to grip them tightly. "Still.. I wouldn't have left you there if I'd known you were still at the mountain."

She watched me for a moment before lifting up slightly on her knees and pressing her lips to my forehead. My fingers tightened further around her hands at the contact.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Materia's POV

I pulled away from the kiss I placed on Thorin's forehead and sat back on my heels. He watched me with an unreadable expression as his hands gripped mine in a vice.

"I loved you."

I stilled, hearing the words that were hardly a breath from his lips. I tried to pull my hands from his gently, but he held fast, pulling me towards him instead to press his lips to mine roughly. My mind went blank, my eyes closing, and I couldn't make myself move away as he released one of my hands to put his behind my head, pulling me into the kiss further. My free hand lifted of its own will to his shoulder, squeezing it gently.

A knock at the door made me spring up and away from him, stumbling as my eyes flew open. He stood and caught me around the waist before I could fall on my rear, pulling me against him.

"Materia, have you seen Thorin?" Gandalf's voice said as my door opened slightly. "Ah... my.. pardon the intrusion, my lady and lord.." he said, clear amusement in his voice as the door clicked shut again. "Thorin, Lord Elrond wishes to discuss our map situation when you have a moment." he called in.

"I'll be with you shortly." Thorin replied, his voice rough as he kept my gaze locked with his.