16. To the Halls of Dwarves

After a full night of Laketown's master raining praises and toasts on the dwarves and gifting them with weapons and flashy outfits, everyone had passed out in the master's halls.
I stepped over the heavily sleeping forms and went outside, careful to close the door silently so as not to wake anyone up.
Pulling my cloak around me to fend against the cold, humid wind that was blowing through the town, I walked along the docks until I found the edge of the lake again, lowering myself to sit on the wooden slats and staring out at the dark form of the mountain that blocked some of the starlight from view.

These docks sat far enough from the residential homes that I allowed myself a chance to sing to the stars, sending my voice over the water, singing the song the dwarves had sung back in the Shire.

Far over, the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep, and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long, forgotten gold
The pines were roaring on the height
The winds were moaning in the night
The fire was red, It flaming spread
The trees like torches blazed with light

After the verse I'd heard them sing, I continued with another.

Farewell we call, to hearth and home
The wind may blow
And rain may fall
We must away, ere break of day
Far o'er the woods, and mountain tall

As the last echoes of my voice faded, I felt knees against either side of my hips, making me tense, but the tension faded as I heard the person speak.

"That was beautiful." Thorin whispered, resting his chin on my shoulder. I lifted a hand and touched his cheek, running my fingers over his beard softly. "I look forward to sharing those halls with you again, Materia." he hummed, shifting to press a kiss into my hair.

"As do I. I just hope we can succeed and take Erabor back from Smaug." His hands touched my hips, before sliding along my stomach, linking his fingers in the middle.

"We will."

"And what of the sickness he'll leave behind?"

His arms tensed. "What of it?"

"You can't fall to it Thorin."

"Do you doubt me as Elrond does?"

I shook my head. "I believe you can overcome it. But the chance that you won't will be the downfall of your company. Especially after your promises to help the people here; they wont take kindly if you fall into the sickness and keep their repayment from them." I turned to face him. There was a sadness in his eyes as he worked his jaw, looking over my head at the mountain.

There was a long period of silence between us, before I pushed out of his arms and stood, shifting around him. "I may have a small test for you." He stood slowly to his feet and turned to me.

"Test?"

"Yes, follow me." I snatched up his hand and pulled him back towards the masters hall. "Keep quiet." I warned, giving him a pointed look before pulling open one of the doors carefully and leading him over the mass of sleeping townsfolk and dwarves. We reached the door that the master had brought me into earlier in the evening and entered carefully, trying to avoid any squeaking hinges or floorboards. I closed the door behind Thorin as he stepped into the room, then watched as his eyes roamed over the piles of golden effects the master had.