13. Washed Away

I was in my old room in Thranduil's palace, freshly bathed and in the midst of brushing my hair when there was a knock at the door.

"Come in."

I set down my comb and turned as the door opened and Yuvier and a blond elf that looked a lot like Thranduil entered the room.

I rose and jumped at the blonde, hugging him tightly. "Legolas!"

"Why is he getting such a warm greeting and I didn't?" Yuvier pouted.

Releasing Legolas, I gave my brother a pointed look. "Because at least he sought me out in the last 50 years."

Yuvier frowned. "I wasn't allowed to leave the forest."

Legolas nodded. "He was forced to stay here. A sort of collateral for you in the time you were with the dwarves to ensure you came back."

"Which you didn't."

I shrugged. "I couldn't. I failed Thranduil. I couldn't come back to that. The only reason I'm here now is that I have Thorin. Or... at the very least he should be here soon." I said, looking away from the two at the mention of the dwarf.

"Oh, you mean the dwarf who just insulted my father?" Legolas asked, crossing his arms.

My eyes widened at him as I pinched my lips together. "He did what?"

"He just insulted my father. The king offered him help if he promised to bring back some kind of treasure, and Thorin threw the offer in his face. He's locked up."

My hand came up to pinch the bridge of my nose as I shut my eyes tightly, suppressing a groan. "I can't believe.." I stopped myself. "No, I can believe. You weren't too rough with them were you?" I asked the elf prince.

"We didn't have to be. They were all a little disoriented when we found them surrounded by monstrous spiders in the woods. We didn't have to do much to detain them."

"Spiders?" I gasped. I couldn't stand the small beings, let alone ones described as monstrous. They must have been big to cause issue for the dwarves.

"Yeah, the forest has been infested by them the last while." Yuvier said, looking thoughtful. "They've been coming from an old fortress in droves."

"Gods.. I'm glad I went ahead of them.. I would have been useless against spiders." I admitted, moving to sit on my bed.

Legolas stared at me like I was mad.

"You?" The prince said. "You've fought countless orcs and survived a dragon, but spiders are your undoing?"

I glared at him. "What can I say? They have too many legs.."

Yuvier laughed. "She freezes right up when she sees spiders. Been terrified of them since we were young." He said, causing Legolas to smirk.

"Shut it.." I grumbled, before standing again.
"Legolas, can you bring me to the dwarves?"

His smirk faltered to a frown. "Why?"

"I need to confirm they're alright myself."

"Materia, I promise we didn't hurt them." He walked closer to me and placed a hand on my shoulder. "The feast is beginning soon. They'll still be there tomorrow, so why not come join us for now. Get dressed and come see us in the grand hall."

I gave a small nod. "Very well."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The festivities lasted into the dark hours of the morning. Legolas and my brother had brought me to see old friends and meet new ones. Everyone -save for me, who tried to remain sober- was in high spirits throughout, drinking and laughing to their hearts content.
In the middle of the night, I'd sent some of the servants to bring food to the cells that held the dwarves, ensuring that they brought cooked meats I'd snuck from the dwarves confiscated belongings shortly after the elves had become sufficiently inebriated and wouldn't question my absence.