15. Time in Laketown

The dwarves were getting testy; Bard had brought them weapons below their standards, then told them to stay in his house, asking Bain to make sure they stayed there. Even if he hadn't believed my reasoning for coming down that river with the dwarves, he had allowed me my freedom, as long as I didn't bring any of the company with me if I left the house.
The bargeman had left shortly after giving those final orders in a hushed tone as we'd stood away from the others near the door, and had been gone several hours since.

I stood from my place on the ground in front of Bard's fireplace, brushing dust from my rear, and turned, watching as clumps of dwarves talked amongst themselves. Kili and Fili had been sitting near me, discussing what they might find in Erabor. The younger of the two turned his attention to me. "What do you think we'll find?"

You couldn't ask me this while I was still seated? I thought, letting out a huff of annoyance. The two lifted their brows at me at the sound.
"Treasure beyond imagine... and sights you'll wish you didn't see." I answered quietly, thinking of the dwarves that didn't make it out after the attack. They both frowned and turned back to each other, discussing what I could mean in hushed tones.

With their attention away from me, I walked silently to the door. A hand grasped my wrist as I reached for the handle, and I flinched, looking at Thorin. "Where do you think you're going?" he whispered, pulling me close to him.

"Out, to find our host."

"He'll return when he feels like it. We're trying to figure out a way to get to the lockup where he said the weapons will be. We'll need you when we go." he growled.

"Then I'll be there when you get to the lockup." I said, trying to pull my arm from his grip. He held fast, free hand lifting to my shoulder to pull me the short distance for our faces to be level.

"I'd feel better if you remained with us, not go out there alone. I heard how that servant of the town's master spoke to you. I can't help but feel like others will approach you with the same intentions he had."

"To send me to the master..?" I asked, trying not to think of the smile Alfred had given me.

"You know that's not what I mean, Materia." he hissed. "With that welp trying to stop us from leaving, I cant be there in time if other men try anything with you."
His concern warmed my heart and I leaned forward, pressing a kiss to his cheek.

"I promise, I'll be alright." I said, shifting my cloak to show him my sword on my hip, frowning at the feel of the dampness that still clung to the fabric.

"You're still injured though."

His insistence was starting to irritate me. Prior to this adventure, I hadn't had anyone tell me what to do in more than a hundred years. I'd been free, roaming as I pleased, not under the order of Thranduil or anyone else. Pushing down the anger that was forming, I kissed Thorin's other cheek. "I understand your concern, but please trust in me. I will be fine."
I shrugged out from under his hand to stand straight, and pried his fingers away from my wrist, before holding his hand in mine, squeezing it tightly. "I will return to the company, and I will remain as whole as I am now."

The hand that had been on my shoulder dropped to his side in a fist as he stared up at me, expression hard. After he went quiet, staring at me and working his jaw, I released his hand and took a step back, turning to the door again.

"Wait."

I sighed and looked at him. His hands were fiddling with a bead that always hung in the front of his hair, freeing it, before he stepped up to me and reached up to the hair that hung on the right side of my face. I felt a tugging sensation for several moments before he stepped back. I noticed Balin, Dwalin, Fili, and Kili were all watching us, a mixture of happiness, annoyance, and humor in their faces. Looking back at Thorin, his hand still had the strands of hair in his hand, holding  the bunch so I could see the braid he'd made, his bead holding it together at the end.