Prologue - Never gonna let go

"One's never going to let go"

TW: mention of self harm, abuse/homophobia

It begun a long time ago. More precisely, when Scott was six.

His baby face was gaining more shape, and his features begun to sharpen more. It was the perfect time for the family painting every generation of the elven dynasty had made in their honor.

Always the same poses, all throughout the centuries; the king standing in the left corner, his hand on a chair where the queen was seated with their youngest son, the older standing in front of his father. The queen, as the tradition says, always held a flower, this time an orange lily.

Scott hated that painting.

It only showed how simmilar he was to him even from their youngest days. Though he always thought he was better than him, they loved eachother dearly, as brothers do. Scott was worried for him when he started to push boundaries of nature and he feared what king he might become. It broke his heart when he ran away to seek power.

Scott mourned after Xornoth as he left. They were supposed to stay together, he was never supposed to let go.

And yet there Scott was, tears slowly falling to the floor as he looked up at the painting he despised.

He hated that all of the people on it except for him were gone.

His mother died of disease and his father had been assasinated by an enemy, who's now been an alliance for a few years. That was thanks to Scott who took over the kingdom earlier then the tradition says, at 19. Usually the king is crowned at 20 and it's the older child. But Xornoth flew away and nobody knew if he was even alive.

Well, Scott wasn't the one to always follow tradition anyway. Sure, he always celebrated diffrent holidays and occasions properly during his 3 years of reign and before that. But he was not going to get married anytime soon, not to a woman.

He was gay.

He was a sinner.

He was a mistake.

He wasn't going to carry the family name.

When his parents found out, they very politely explained that it wasn't a problem, since he wasn't the heir to the throne. Xornoth showed his full support.

That changed when he left though. Suddenly, his parents weren't so polite and calm about the fact they won't have offspring and the name will get lost. Oh how many times did Scott get slapped upon disagreeing to marry a woman as a king.

That's exactly how his frustration and hatered towards his brother grew. He wasn't crying tears of grief when thinking about him anymore, it was tears of rage.

If only Xornoth didn't leave, he wouldn't have to deal with making the alliances and keeping them, which was hard enough with his mostly antisocial and cold nature.

If only Xornoth didn't leave, he wouldn't have dealt with the abuse caused by homophobia.

If only Xornoth didn't leave, he would still be happily roaming the world with a potential boyfriend at his side.

If only Xornoth didn't leave, he wouldn't have the scars on his forearms from guilt.

If only Xornoth didn't leave, he wouldn't be in all if this mess he called life.

It was all Xornoth's falut.

They were supposed to stay together, but Xornoth flew away. He promised that they're always going to stay together but he's just a liar.