Hospital

We get to the hospital and the team is all there. They are all concern about me, how I'm doing etc. Kono & Chin share a questioning look with Danny but he tells them he'll fill them in later. Do they know?
Danny - "What's the update?"
Joe appearing from somewhere - "They're just putting him into a room now. He should be awake in the next couple of hours." He takes in mine and Danny demeanours - "You guys ok?"
Danny looks at me - "Let's get in there before he wakes up."
Joe looks puzzled that his question wasn't answered and looks at me while Danny walks off. I know Joe is like Dad, he can tell so much by looking at someone, like reading their soul or something. I quickly look away from him and follow Danny. Joe moves to catch up with him.
Joe - "I'm not sure Sam should go in."
Danny - "She hasn't seen her father in weeks because he went, after you, on some crusade that nearly got him killed, she's going in!" I slip my hand into his and squeeze it to thank him. He looks down and gives me a thin smile. Maybe there was a way back after all.

Joe holds up his hands in a defensive gesture - "Whoa Danny! I meant they might not let her in."
Danny shoots him another cold angry look. Maybe he's more pissed at Joe than me? Then he continues walking bringing me with him. As we reach the recovery room a doctor approaches us. Danny doesn't miss a beat - "She's his only child, she's going in!"
Doctor - "Hospital policy ..."
Danny cuts across him - "Listen doc, I've had a day from hell, where I didn't know if my best friend would make it back alive, and then I thought I had lost his only kid, after keeping her alive for months! I'm really not in the mood to hear hospital policy right now so I strongly suggest that you step out of my way and go do some more important work!"
The doctor holds his hands up in resignation - "She might not like what she sees!"
Danny pushing past him and taking me with him - "Don't worry she's a tough cookie".

We walk into the ward and my heart is beating louder than the multiple machine beeps. I look around frantically and then I see him.  I let go of Danny's hand and run over to his bed but stop short. His face is covered in an oxygen mask, he has wires going to different machines all blinking & beeping. His left arm is in a cast and he's covered in dressings. He looks small & vulnerable surrounded by it all. I'm afraid to go closer, afraid to touch him. A nurse is busy around him checking things. He looks at me and then at Danny - "Immediate family only mate".
Me, barely audible - "Is he going to die?"
The nurse looks at Danny questioningly. Danny tell him I'm the patient's daughter and he looks at me kindly.
Nurse - "Alright luv, I'm Ben and I'm lookin' after your dad." He has a funny accent, maybe British? He comes over and takes my hand and leads me to Dad's right side.
Ben - "Now I know this all looks a bit scary but really all these machines are to make my life easier not keep your dad alive. He's doing that bit all by himself." "He got a bit bashed up, whatever shenanigans he was up to, but nothing the docs couldn't fix". "Now he just needs a bit more sleep and then I'm sure he'll be thrilled to see his little girl smiling at him." "You sit right here and you can hold his hand. Go on, he's a strong lad he won't break."
I pick up Dad's hand and it feels lifeless and heavy, but it's warm. I kiss it and it smells of him. I start to cry again!
Ben - "Now, now sweetheart you don't want him wakin' up to you cryin' or he'll think he's died!" He gave me a tissue and I blew my nose loudly.
Ben with false shock - "Well holy moly I don't know how that didn't wake up all the patients" and he winked at me. He made me laugh. I like Ben.

Danny had been standing back but now he stepped up to Dad's bed. He ran his hand through his hair and I noticed, in the stark hospital light, that he looked pale and tired. Guilt washed over me again as I thought about what I had put him through. I sat down, tears again welling up, and put my head down on my dad's bed trying to hide my upset from Danny. The day's and night's events must have caught up on me because I drifted off to sleep. The next thing I was aware of was a hand touching my face. I blinked my eyes open and heard a familiar deep voice quietly say "Sammy?". I shot upright and grabbed the hand, looking at my dad's now open eyes and the loving smile on his face.
Me - "DADDY!" I threw myself onto him hugging him excitedly. Maybe with a bit too much exuberance as he let out a painful groan.
Ben - "Hey now sweetheart how about you don't kill your old man with your love right out of the trap?!"
I pull back up terrified that I've really hurt him - "I'm sorry! Daddy are you ok?"
Dad appears to try to say something but it seems to hard to get it out. Then he winces in pain again. Some alarms start to go off and people coming running from everywhere. Ben grabs me and moves me out of the way and hands me off to Danny. I hadn't even known he was still in the room. I instantly tried to pull away as Danny led me out of the room.
Me - "DADDY! DADDY!" "Danny let me go, I have to go to him!"
Danny - "We have to let them do their job Sam. He's in good hands."

I keep screaming and fighting him to let me go but he had a tight hold of me. He leads me out of the room and forces me to sit with him. He keeps talking in a calm voice, telling me it'll be ok. I don't believe him. I scream at him that he's fucking lying to me, that I don't believe him, that he can't keep me from my dad and that he's a fucking bastard to try. I try to hit him but he grabs my hands and holds me tight but not hurting me. He says that he knows I hate him right now but he's not letting me go and he's not going anywhere. I eventually run out of fight and collapse into his chest sobbing. He wraps his arms around me and continues to calmly reassure me.  He gathers me up so that I'm sitting on his lap with my head lying against his chest. I feel the anger leaving but the fear is still there. I had my daddy back but now he's gone again.