Preparation

One thing having a Navy Commander as a father does for you is teach you to prepare. As the saying goes 'Fail to prepare, prepare to fail'. So on Friday lunchtime myself and Kimmy are again lounging around on the grass discussing my plan.
Me - "So I've figured out how to get to your house, I'm gonna cycle."
Kimmy - "Won't that make loads of noise getting it out?"
Me - "Aha you see this is where the preparation comes in. I'm gonna take it out today."
Kimmy - "Look at you with your planning and preparation, wouldn't the Commander be so proud?!"
Cue fits of laughter.
Me - "Then tonight I'm gonna do a dry run. Wait for Danny to fall asleep on the couch, slip out the window and down the tree. I'll wait to see if there's any movement out of Danny, if not then I cycle to your house and back, back up the tree and in the window. Check on Danny again and hopefully he's still snoring like a pug!"
Kimmy - "What if anything goes wrong?"
Me - "Well I reckon the weakest areas are getting out and back in. He never comes into my room to check on me like my dad does, so once I know the noise of me getting out hasn't woken him I'm okay. If it does I'll turn on the tears and say I am missing Dad and wanted to sit on the beach. Same if he catches me climbing back in."
Kimmy - "Sounds like you've got it all covered. I feel sick I'm so nervous!"
Me - "What the hell are you nervous about?! I'm the one sneaking out to come to your house!"
Kimmy - "Yeah for a party, that if my parents ever find out about, I'll be dead!"
Me - "How are they going to find out? Besides it's Todd's party so you just have to play dumb! I'm soooo excited. It's been a crappy couple of weeks and I am looking forward to some fun for a while. Anyway it'll all be worth it for time with Mark right?!!" I beam my most mischievous smile at her.
Kimmy (going deep red) - "If you don't shut up about that I swear you won't make it 'til tomorrow night!"
Me - "Whoa! Okay, okay, no need to get homicidal!"
The bell rings and we go to class. The time drags through each class as all I can think about is the party. I make it to the last class of the day without issue. It's English but instead of Hamlet I'm thinking about excuses for Danny as to why I'm getting my bike out. I'm suddenly dragged out of my daydreams by hearing my name being called very impatiently.
Mr. Tanner - "Samantha!"
Me - "Em, yes sir?!"
Mr. Tanner - "Please answer my question"
I frantically look at my book to see what we're discussing but it's no help. Kimmy is mouthing something to me but it might as well be Chinese!
Mr. Tanner - "Today please!"
Me - "Em, could you repeat the question please sir?" I say meekly, I know I've been caught rotten!
He gives me a withering look.
Mr. Tanner - "If I catch you not paying attention in my class again you will be on detention. Is that clear?"
Me - "Yes sir."  Shit I thought he was nice! I better not start getting into trouble with him after everything that happened. So I try my hardest to concentrate but soon enough my thoughts are back to the plan and my eyes have wandered out the window.
Mr. Tanner - "Samantha McGarrett you have just earned yourself a detention! Would you like to make it a trip to the principal?"
Me - "No sir, sorry sir". Damn, damn, damn! I'm so stupid. This means a lecture from Danny and I'll probably lose my phone! Damnit! Plus the rest when Dad gets back. I make sure to keep my thoughts and eyes in the class until the bell goes. Well now is a good time to test out the tears! I slowly get my stuff together so that I'm last leaving the classroom. I stop at Mr. Tanner's desk, he is filling in my detention slip which he then hands to me. I stay standing holding it and looking at my feet. I start to well up the tears. Damn girl you are too good at that!
Mr. Tanner -"Can I help you with something else Samantha?" He still sounds pissed off.
Me - "I just wanted to say I'm sorry sir". Sniff  "I didn't mean to not pay attention, it's just..." Dramatic pause and sniff.
Mr. Tanner - "Just what?" He sounds sceptical, maybe the tears routine doesn't work on him.
Me - "It's just been so hard these last couple of weeks, with my dad missing, to think about anything else". Cue the full on waterworks, sobbing and shaking.
Mr. Tanner - "Oh Sam of course you are worried about your father. I'm so sorry I didn't think about that". His tone is back to soft and friendly with a lot of concern mixed in. He gets up and gives me a tissue and puts his hand on my shoulder. "Please don't be upset, I'm sure your dad is fine and will be back soon. You have a lot on your plate at the moment, no wonder you are finding it difficult to concentrate. Don't worry about that now". He takes the detention slip and rips it up. "If you can't concentrate and find you are falling behind just come to me and I'll gladly help you."
I blow my nose loudly and calm the sobs.
Me - "I'm trying my best."
Mr. Tanner - "Of course you are, now you head on and try to enjoy your weekend".
Me - "Thank you sir". Sniff
Mr. Tanner - "You are very welcome, off you go". He couldn't usher me out of the room fast enough. I head straight for the restrooms and wash my face. I'm smiling at myself in the mirror when the door bursts open giving me a heart attack. It's Kimmy.
Kimmy - "Oh my god what happened?! Did you get detention? Did he make you cry?!"
Me - "Nope!" A big grin spreads across my face.
Kimmy - "Whatta ya mean nope!"
Me - "I turned on the waterworks, told him I'm so worried about my dad and he took back the detention and couldn't get me out of the room quick enough! I told you I could do it!"
Kimmy - "Shit you're good! Remind me to always stay friends with you, you'd be scary as a non friend!"
I wink at her and we again get into a fit of giggles. Then I realise the time.
Me - "Shit Danny will have half of HPD looking for me if I don't get out to the car. Laters!" And with that I run out to where I meet Danny and run into him, literally!
Me - "Oof!! Jeez Uncle Danny look where you're going!"
Danny - "There you are, I was just coming in to look for you. What took you so long?"
I push past him and walk quickly to the car, not  wanting him to see my tear stained face, no point overusing it!
Me - "I'm here now can we just go already!"
Danny - "Is everything okay?"
Me - "Yes! Everything is fine can we just go?!" I am getting irritated and I'm not hiding it. We get into the car and I stare out my window keeping my face away from Danny. But he doesn't start the car. Instead he just sits there and I can feel him staring at me.
Danny - "Sam look at me please?"
I don't move just keep staring out the window.
Danny - "Samantha, turn around and look at me. Now!"
Damnit! Lying to Danny was not going to be as easy as lying to Mr. Tanner. Firstly he has a teen daughter so is fairly up on our ways and secondly he's a police detective! I slowly turn around, roll my eyes and huff.
Me - "Happy now?!" Extra sassy!
Danny runs his hand through his hair and sighs - "No, I'm not happy, please drop that attitude. What happened in school? Don't tell me nothing because I can see you've been crying. Did someone do or say something to you?"
I feel bad, he is genuinely concerned. I look away again so he can't read my eyes when I answer him.
Me - "No one did or said anything alright! I just got upset about Dad, that's all. Now can we please forget about this and go?"
Danny - "He's going to be ok Sam."
Me - "Yeah. Whatever!"
Danny sighs again and starts the car. We've had similar conversations a number of times over the last two weeks. Sometimes I argue other times I just scoff. Right now I really don't want to get into it with him.

As usual we go to the Palace. I'm really impatient for my weekend to start properly so I'm being extra short and sassy with Danny. He follows me into Dad's office so I look at him with a frown.
Me - "Eh, can I help you with something?!"
Danny - "Look Sam I get that you are worried and upset about your dad, but if you do not cut out this attitude and start being more respectful, you are going to land yourself in very hot water." He sounds like he is trying, badly, to keep his temper in check. For some reason I'm determined to keep pushing him! I roll my eyes and mumble "whatever". He grabs my arm, spins me around and lands a hard slap on my bare thigh just under my shorts. Smack! It stings really badly.
Me - "OW! What the hell?!"
Danny - "Do you want to make it a full blown spanking?!"
Me - "No!"
Danny steps towards me and growls - "Excuse ME?!"
I quickly step back from him and finally realising I've pushed too far I start to back down.
Me - "No sir". I say it quietly and respectfully.
Danny - "Then drop that attitude! I will not say it again!"
Me - "Sorry Uncle Danny".
He runs his hand through his hair and calms down. - "Ok kiddo, I'm sure you have homework to do so I'm going to leave you to it and get back to work." He heads out to the main office and I sit on the couch with a sigh of relief. I also get a nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach. Maybe Danny isn't going to be as much of a pushover as I thought if I get caught? Well I'll just have to make sure that doesn't happen.