Dry Run

The rest of Friday dragged by. We stayed at the Palace until pretty late because they were closing a case. I tried to stay out of Danny's way and out of trouble. All I could think about was my plan but as it got later I got more tired and worried that I wouldn't be able to pull the practice run off. I bugged Danny a lot about when we would be going. I whined and sassed more than I should. Danny is a pretty patient guy, Dad would have lost it with me long before, but maybe he was feeling sorry for me. Just when I think I had pushed him too far and he looked like he was going to explode at me Lou stepped in and told him to take me home. All the way home I got it in the ear about my behaviour, my impatience, the fact that they were working, blah, blah, blah. I mumbled a yes sir or no sir from time to time but really he seemed happy to hear his own voice! Honestly I don't know how Dad listens to him all the time. When we got home, we ate dinner, him still lecturing me, then he sent me to bed. It wasn't my bedtime yet but I guess he'd had enough of me and I was happy to comply. Then I realised I hadn't been able to get my bike out of the shed. Great, before I'd even started my plan was hitting snags!

Not one to be deterred easily I decided I was going through with it anyway. So I waited until Danny settled on the couch. I had left my bedroom door slightly ajar so that I could sneak out to check he was there. He was lying on the couch with a beer watching some game or other. He looked pretty cosy and settled. Ok Sam it's now or never!

I shut my bedroom door quietly and make my way to the window. I've left the room dark just in case. One of the floorboards creaks stopping me in my tracks. My heart is thumping hard in my chest. I wait to hear any sound of movement on the stairs but there's none. Ok Sam relax, Danny's not going to come up just because you are moving around. I take a couple of deep breaths and carry on. I had opened my window a little when we came home so now I only had to push it out. I climb onto the ledge and look over at the tree. It's been a while since I've pulled off this stunt of climbing out my window. Dad caught me once when I was meant to be grounded. Needless to say he wasn't happy and neither was my butt! Looking at the tree now I'm not so sure I can still do it. Good Sam was telling me to turn back, this is stupid. Where was devil Sam when I needed her? I sit on my window ledge for what seems like an eternity trying to calm myself down. What if I fall and break something? Or worse what if I die? But then I think so what if I die?! It's not like anyone cares! Dad's off doing whatever, wherever and Danny can get back to his own like. Come on Sam screw them all. Devil Sam is back and rearing to go!

I look for the strongest branch that's in my reach and swing out onto the tree. Landing near the trunk I scramble down to the lowest branches and drop softly to the ground. I feel exhilarated! I'm FREE!!!! Adrenaline pumping through my veins I creep over to the lenai to look inside. Danny is still where I left him, engrossed in the stupid game. Yes! First part of mission complete. Now to get my bike out of the shed. Luckily the sky is clear so the moon is casting some light on the back yard. Trying not to think about the critters and creepy crawlies around me I make my way over to the shed and unlock it, I had taken the key from the kitchen earlier. Slowly I open the door. As it swings open on its old rusty hinges it makes a really loud creaking noise. I freeze, terrified that not just Danny but the whole neighbourhood has heard it. But nothing happens, no Danny coming searching and no neighbourhood watch mob (I know again with the drama!). I think it's safe to go on. The shed doesn't have windows so once I'm inside I switch on my small flashlight. There's my bike and there right in front of it is my dad's! Damn it! The shed is small so I'm going to have to take out my dad's bike, then mine and then put back in my dad's! Shit, shit, SHIT! I kick my dad's stupid bike and damn it and him for putting obstacles in my way. That's right Sam, Dad knew you were going to do this so he's made it harder for you. Give up and go back to bed. No way! So you have to move another bike, so what?! The war was raging in my head again. Fuelled by my anger and frustration I pull it out of the shed and drop it quietly on the grass outside. Then I pull out mine and prop it up against the back of the shed. As quickly and quietly as I can I take Dad's back in, but it slips from my grip and lands with an almighty crash! I freeze listening, trying to hear anything over the bass drum of my heart. I hear Danny shout out.
Danny - "Hey is someone out there?"
Shit I'm caught, how do I explain being in the shed? I quickly get out and go around the back where I left my bike. He's still a bit off so he didn't see me but he probably heard me.
Danny - "Listen this is the wrong house to pick, I'm 5O which means I'm armed and know how to use it! Do yourself a favour and come out slowly with your hands up."
Oh shit what am I going to do? My plan is sinking faster than the Titanic. I feel tears well up in my eyes. Get a grip Sam, you're a McGarrett, think! Just then something rubs up against my leg, I stifle a scream but start to breathe again when I realise it's Mokey, the neighbour's cat. I can hear Danny getting closer and see his flashlight sweeping across the other side of the shed into the bushes. Think Sam THINK! I got it! I grab Mokey and throw him in the direction of the end of the shed. He lets out a very loud complaining meow and runs out of the bushes in Danny's direction.
Danny - "SHIT! Cat you just nearly lost all of your nine lives and cost me one too! SCRAM!"
Mokey ran off complaining loudly. Danny stood there cursing him and then I heard him turn around and grump his way back to the house. He bought it. He believed the cat had made all the noise.

Relief floods my body. I sit getting my breathing under control and giving time for Danny's vigilance to die down. I should give up and go back to my room, this is stupid, I had been terrified of him catching me so maybe I cared more than I'd thought. Damn it Sam get a grip, devil side was coming back from her scare, you solved the problem not get on with your plan. So what if he catches you, so what if you get grounded for the rest of your life! Dad's not here it doesn't matter. Newly energised with anger I carefully creep back around the shed and up near to the lenai. Just close enough to see Danny sprawled back on the couch half asleep. Ok the plan is back on.

I retrieve my bike and quietly wheel it out to the road, no lights come on, no sounds of movement. I climb on and start peddling fast down the lane. I feel exhilarated again. I taste freedom. I get to Kimmie's house easily. The Commander keeps me pretty fit so it doesn't take a lot of effort. I keep to back roads so there's less chance of meeting someone who wonders why a kid is out on their bike at this time. When I get there I really want to tell Kimmie that it worked but couldn't risk it, so I turn around and go back. I quietly put my bike back at the side of the shed. I peek in at Danny who is fast asleep on the couch. I scramble back up the tree and over to the ledge. This time I'm not even hesitant, my fear is gone. I climb in my window and then trip, falling with no style, grace or quietness into my bedroom. I hear footsteps taking the stairs two at a time! I quickly jump into bed and cover up. He knocks but comes straight in, trying not to let me see he's holding his gun. I blink and squint at the light coming in.
Me - "What's wrong?"
Danny - "I thought someone was up here, I heard a crash. Are you ok?"
I felt kind of bad, he was genuinely concerned.
Me - "Oh sorry Danny that was me, I stumbled coming back from the bathroom and fell." How easily the lies roll off my tongue!
Danny relaxes but I see him scan the room just in case.
Me sighing - "Do you think I'm hiding a guy up here or something?!" I roll my eyes for added effect.
Danny - "OK smartass, go back to sleep." And he leaves.
I breathe a sigh of relief again. Once he's downstairs I change quickly and get back into bed. I lie there going over the events of the night. So it didn't go exactly to plan but that was what a trial run was for. The main thing that had gone wrong was the bike and now that it was already out there was one less weak point. The butterflies in my tummy go nuts as I think about tomorrow night. It is going to be EPIC!