The School

Steve's POV
I finished up my paperwork, got a beer and sat outside. Sam hadn't come back down to talk. She hadn't even come to say goodnight like she usually did. I called Kono and she agreed to come over tomorrow morning. I hope Sam talks to her. She and Mary are the only consistent females in Sam's life. An old anger rises in me thinking about how Jenny left when Sam was just a toddler. Sam thinks she died but the truth is she didn't want us, either of us. For a while I thought Catherine would take that position in our lives but then she rejected us too. Poor Sam has had to pay for my failings in that department. It used to be ok, being both parents didn't seem so hard, maybe Catherine took more of a role than I realised. But lately it just seemed insurmountable. I feel I'm not cutting it as a father, let alone both parents. I go back inside and lock up. On my way to bed I check on Sam. She's sleeping. She looks so calm and peaceful when she's asleep. My heart skips a beat as I brush some stray hairs off her face and lean down to place a light kiss on her forehead. "I love you little Sammy" I whisper to my sleeping baby. She is my everything. I have to do better.
I wake early and go for a swim. I decide to leave Sam sleep on. I've also decided not to bring her with me to the school. I think I need to speak to Mike and Ms. Higgins alone. Given Sam's current mood I'm not sure what she could say or do. She's got right on her side at the moment and I'd like to keep it that way. Kono arrives and I explain what happened the night before. She says she will try to talk to Sam, hopefully she can get through to her. Now to go deal with the school.

I ring ahead to make sure I can get in to see the principal straight away, I also ask for Ms. Higgins to be present, in fact I pretty much demand that she is. I arrive at the school and go straight to the office. I don't wait for green lights or welcomes but go straight in. Mike Thompson is sitting at his desk and looks up surprised by my sudden entrance.
Mike - "Steve, I" 
Me - "Where is she?!" Scanning the room it's obvious Ms. Higgins isn't here. "I said I wanted her here".
Mike - "Steve, please take a seat." 
Me - "I don't want to take a seat Mike, I want to talk to that teacher." 
Mike - "Can you please calm down and tell me what is going on? Ms. Higgins will join us soon." 
I throw a file down on his desk.
Me - "This is what's going on. It turns out your Ms. Higgins has a grudge against Five-O, specifically me and she took that grudge out on Sam. That's why she gave her the bad grades and the unwarranted detentions. I locked up her fiancé and she wanted payback. Now I want some justice for my daughter".
Mike opens the file which shows Joe Treal's record and Ms. Higgins' relationship with him, including all her visits to the prison.
Mike - "Steve, I don't know what to say, this is a shock to me but just because you imprisoned her partner that doesn't prove she took it out on Samantha".
Me - "You're kidding me right?! Look at the evidence, even I could tell reading her assignments that they were not deserving of such low marks, she has systematically bullied Samantha for months, apparently without reason and now I find her connection to this low life? You might not be able to see it but that is plenty of evidence for me. Now I want to talk to that woman!" 
Mike - "If you believed that Samantha was being ill treated why didn't you raise it before now, before your daughter verbally abused a member of my staff?!" 
Me - "Because I didn't know! Sam was too afraid to tell anyone. She hid it from me and everyone else. She's carried it for months and then ends up in serious trouble".
Mike - "But you had to sign her detention slips?"
I sigh, calming down I sit in one of the chairs.
Me - "She forged my signature on the slips and her grades".
Mike - "Really?" Raising an eyebrow.
Me - "Look Mike, I know Sam has not acted perfectly in all of this but she has been more than appropriately punished for it. She is just a kid and this woman has used her position of power to take advantage of her vulnerability. Surely you don't want a teacher on your staff who is capable of that?"
Mike - "I need to hear her side of the story Steve, I can't just go on your say so!" 
Me - "Well get her in here then!"
Mike - "She's on her way, but be advised I will not allow you to interrogate her like a criminal suspect." 
Me - "If she's been doing what I think she has then that is exactly what she is!"