Chapter 1 - Heading

The navy officers walked off of the boat as the Dawsons gathered their things and started unloading. Mr. Dawson handed a stack of plates to George before he could come aboard.

"The navy's requisitioned her," Peter explained. "They'll be back in an hour. My dad wants to be ready before then."

"We have to strip her and then load the life jackets," Sandra pointed to the stack sitting on the dock.

"Some men across the Channel at Dunkirk need taking off."

"Some men?" George asked as he looked at the number of life jackets.

"I think more than some," Sandra agreed as she stepped back onboard and continued unloading it.

"Isn't that where-"

"Yeah," she nodded, but didn't say anything else.

"That's everything," Mr. Dawson said a while later.

"I'll start grabbing the life jackets"

"Pass them to me," Sandra said and George nodded, creating an assembly line with her and Peter. She glanced over as the navy officers came back down the dock, talking to the other ship captains and putting navy crews onboard as the civilians left.

"Ready on the stern line, George," Mr. Dawson ordered.

"Aren't you waiting on the navy?" he asked as he did as told.

"They've asked for the Moonstone, they'll have her. And her captain."

"And his son," Peter said as he jumped back on board.

"And his daughter," Sandra smiled at George, taking the rope. "Thanks for the help." He glanced back at the navy officers before stepping on board as Mr. Dawson started driving away.

"What are you doing?" Peter demanded, but George only sat down. "You do know where we're going?"

"France," he nodded.

"Into war, George," Mr. Dawson told him in concern.

"I'll be useful, sir." They all took one more look at the navy officers staring at them before turning towards the open ocean. They all manned their positions as they went into the sea, the English flag waving at the stern.

"Mr. Dawson!" George yelled from the bow as he saw a plane in the sky.

"One of ours, George," he told them as they watched it fly by. The farther they sailed, the more ships they met with. Some were going in the same direction, but others were going away. They stood in silence as they passed a destroyer, men in uniforms crowded on the decks. The men stared and they looked back as they passed before looking ahead to see smoke in the distance, accompanied by explosions. 

Not the greatest first chapter, but thanks for reading!