Chapter 7 - Sweet Reunion

"Sandra?" he breathed out before wrapping her in a tight hug.

"Oh my God," she cried as she hugged him tightly, ignoring the black oil covering his body. They pulled back, both smiling as they looked at each other. "You have oil all over your face," she laughed as she tried to wipe it away.

"So do you, love," he chuckled.

"I don't care," she muttered before leaning forwards and pressing her lips to his, his hands coming up to cup her cheeks as hers went to his hair. They ignored the cheers of the other soldiers who watched, only focusing on each other.

"I missed you so much," Tommy whispered as they pulled away.

"Me too," she nodded, relishing in the feeling of his forehead against hers. "You need a life jacket," she realized, immediately moving to grab one.

"Thanks, love." He quickly put it on before wrapping his arm around her waist and holding her close.

"Tommy, there's a dead bloke down there," Alex said as he came back up the stairs and walked over to him. He turned to his girlfriend who looked down.

"George?" She only nodded. "I'm so sorry." She only nestled closer to him.

"I'm sorry," Alex apologized too.

"Thank you."

"Sandra, this is Alex. We met on the beach."

"Nice to meet you," he held out his hand.

"You too," she gave him a small smile as she shook it.

"Tommy never mentioned how beautiful his girlfriend was."

"I didn't mention her at all."

"I guess that's true," he smiled. "I'll leave you two to catch up. Nice meeting you."

"You as well."

"It's good to see you, Tommy," Peter said as he came over, shaking his hand.

"Tommy," Mr. Dawson smiled, giving him a hug. "Didn't expect to see you here."

"That makes two of us."

"That's a fighter," Collins said as he came over and they all looked into the sky.

"Yes. A ME-109 from the south. Peter, you take the tiller," he told his son. "Listen for my instructions. Point her south. Full speed, Sandra." Sandra walked to her post and listened. "Keep coming round. Keep coming. Before he fires, he's gonna drop his nose. I'll give you the signal." They all watched as the plane got closer.

"Now?" Peter asked nervously.

"No, no. Wait. Wait for him to commit to his line."

"Dad," Sandra let out, starting to get nervous.

"Now!" They all got ready, but the plane was shot down first, an English plane coming through the clouds. The whole boat cheered.

"How'd you know that stuff anyway?" Collins asked him.

"My son's one of you lot. I know he'd see us through."

"You're ARF?" Collins asked Peter as Mr. Dawson went below deck.

"No. Not me."

"Our older brother flew Hurricanes," Sandra told him.

"He died the third week into the war," Peter finished.

"I'm sorry." The siblings nodded. "You must be Tommy," he realized, seeing the boy next to Sandra.

"Yes, sir."

"You should  know she thinks the world of you." She gave a small blush as Collins walked away.

"Did you tell him about me?"

"Maybe a little," she smiled. "He asked about my locket."

"You still wear it?" he asked, brows furrowing as he noticed it around her neck.

"Of course I do. I haven't taken it off since you gave it to me."

He let out a small breath before looking back at her face. "I love you."

"I love you too."

I actually edited this chapter and I thought it was sweet. It feels a little rushed, but I think I'm gonna come back and rewrite this book one day. We'll see. It might be a while.