Chapter 4 - The Fall

The trip took hours and the closer they got, the louder the explosions became. The soldier awoke with a start as he heard the explosions, George and Sandra sitting and talking a few feet away.

"Where are we going?" the soldier asked as he stood.

"Dunkirk."

"No. No. We're going to England."

"We have to go to Dunkirk first," Mr. Dawson told him calmly, Sandra turning and watching them.

"Look, I'm not going back. I'm not going back."

"We're going to save people. Help others like we helped you," Sandra told him.

"No," he shook his head. "No. Look at it," he pointed at the black smoke in the sky. "If we go there, we'll die."

"I see your point, son," Mr. Dawson told him, making her look at him in confusion. "Well, let's plot a course." He motioned for George to take control and he did. "You can take your tea below and warm up. Sandra, will you refill his cup?"
"Yeah," she nodded, taking it from him and going down.

"Peter, have we got space for a man to lie down?"

"Uh, yeah." The soldier went down, following Peter into the room with the bed. "Just in there."
"Here," Sandra offered him the tea. "I'll be back in a few minutes," she told him before closing the door. She shared a look with her brother, both of them glancing at the lock on the outside of the door before leaving it and going back up.

"Is he a coward, Mr. Dawson?" George asked as he took over again.

"He's shell shocked, George. He's not himself. He may never be himself again." Sandra let out a sigh, unconsciously playing with the chain around her neck. She turned around as the door to the cabin opened.

"I spilled the tea," he admitted quietly. "May I get some more?"

"Sure," she nodded, taking the cup and filling it up again before handing it to her brother as her father called for her. "Can you-"

"Yeah," he nodded.

"Thanks," she said as she went back up the stairs. "What is it, Dad?"

"Can you take over?" She nodded, taking control as her father took George to the bow.

"Spitfires, George," he said as three planes flew up to them from behind. "Greatest plane ever built."

"You didn't even look," he let out in surprise.

"Rolls Royce Merlin engines. Sweetest sound you could hear out here."

Peter jogged up to them. "He wants to come out," he told them.

"What have you done? Locked him in? Let him out, for God's sake." Peter, George, and Mr. Dawson went below. Peter opened the door, but no one was inside.

"You haven't turned around," the soldier said as he pulled himself through the window and walked over to where Sandra was standing.

"We can't," she told him as her father joined her.

"We have a job to do."

"Job?" he laughed. "This is- This is a pleasure yacht. You're- You're weekend sailors, not the bloody navy. A man your age? A woman?" he looked between them.

"Men my age dictate this war and women serve their parts as well. Why should we be allowed to send our children, women's husbands, to fight it?"

"You should be at home!"

"Well there won't be any home if we allow a slaughter across the Channel. There's no hiding from this, son."

"What is it you think you can do out there? On this thing?"

"There's not just us. A call went out," Mr. Dawson told him. "We aren't the only ones to answer, you know."

"You don't even have guns."

"Do you have a gun?"

"Yes, of course. A rifle. A 303," he said, starting to get a bit restless.

"Did it help you against the dive bombers and the U-boats?" Peter came over and inserted himself slowly between the soldier and his sister.

"You're an old fool. I'm not going back. I'm not back. Turn it around."

"I'm not turning around."

"Turn it around!" he yelled, causing Sandra to jump and cling to the back of her brother's sweater. "Turn it!" He ran forwards, trying to pull Mr. Dawson away from the wheel. George jumped in, pulling him back, but the soldier pushed him away, causing him to hit his head as he fell to the floor. Peter rushed forwards, the deck turning into a fight before George fell down the stairs.

This chapter actually has some length lol. I hope you all enjoyed. It's not edited yet, but I'll come back and do it soon.