Chapter 6 - Third Time's the Charm

"I'm sorry, son. I really don't know," the pilot, Collins, said as he looked at George. "You're right not moving him. You've done the best for him you can." They gave a sad nod.

"Thank you," Sandra said quietly. "Let me get you a cup of tea and a blanket." Peter and Collins followed her before going onto the deck. They watched as they drove closer to the beaches of Dunkirk, more and more civilian ships joining them and the soldiers welcomed them with cheers. The navy destroyers that were there sounded their alarms in a greeting while the soldiers waved. Sandra let out a small breath as she looked at the beaches and moles crowded with men all cheering at the sight of people from their homes.

"Is he alright? The boy?" the soldier asked, still huddled in his corner.

"No," Peter told him, venom lacing his words. "No, he's not."
"Here you are," Sandra said, handing Collins a cup of tea and blanket.

"Thank you." She nodded, forcing a small smile. "Your necklace," he noticed and she glanced down at it. "It's beautiful. Where'd you get it?"

"It was a gift," she admitted, fingering the heart shaped locket.

"Husband?"

"No," she gave a small smile. "No. Boyfriend. He gave it to me before he left for the army."

"Does it have a picture?" She nodded. "May I see?" She walked closer to him, opening it up to show the picture. "He's a handsome lad," he smiled as he looked at the picture of the two of them, smiling with each other. "What's his name?"

"Tommy. His name's Tommy." They ran to the bow as they heard explosions, seeing one of the German planes bomb a destroyer.

"There's men in the water!" Peter pointed and Mr. Dawson turned the boat towards them.

"There's another!" Sandra pointed to a merchant ship that was sinking just a little bit away from the destroyer. She caught sight of men jumping off of that one and swimming towards them too. She went to the side with Collins and Peter, helping to pull the men from the water.

"Oil," Collins realized as he saw the black substance covering them. "Oil. It's oil!" he called to Mr. Dawson. "Oil! You're getting into oil!"

"Keep coming," Mr. Dawson said as he remained by the wheel. "Plenty of room." The soldier they had rescued from the submarine came over to help Sandra, Peter, and Collins. "Alright, below deck." Sandra ignored the sticky black substance that coated her arms the more men she helped pull up. She glanced behind her to see their small ship quickly becoming full. "Listen, we have to get as many of you on board as we can before that oil catches fire. You go below deck or you get off my boat. That's your choice," he said to some of the men who refused to go down as space ran out. "Alright. Keep coming."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," Peter yelled, pushing through with Sandra behind him.

"Be careful down there!" she called.

"Careful!" Peter told them, the siblings freezing as they saw some of the soldiers around George's unmoving body.

"He's dead, mate." Sandra was quiet.

"So be bloody careful with him," Peter managed to get out, watching as they moved his body to the side and covered his body with a blanket. They finally looked away, turning to see the sad look on their father's face.

"Um, will... Will he be okay?" the soldier from the submarine asked. "The boy?"

"Yeah," Peter forced out and the man nodded, going back out to help. Sandra whipped the tears off her face, causing it to become smudged with oil. She turned and went back to help, pulling more men out of the water.

"Dad! Dad, the plane!" she shouted as she saw the German plane come back around.

"Keep pulling," Peter told her and they reached back down. Luckily, other civilian ships had come to join them, pulling men out of the water as well.

"Go!" Collins yelled to Mr. Dawson as they saw the German plane get hit and head towards the water. "Go! Go! Go!" The plane landed, causing the water in the ocean to catch fire. Mr. Dawson took off and they all tried to ignore the screams of the men still left in the water as it burned.

"Help!" Peter yelled and Sandra rushed over, pulling the body that Peter was dragging through the water as their father drove as fast as he could. She let out a grunt as they managed to get his head above water, the soldier gasping before they lifted him over the side. They all panted as they slid to the ground, Sandra freezing as she turned to look at him.

"Tommy?"

I thought this book was a lot better when I wrote it. I hope you guys are liking it a little at least. It's almost over!