Chapter 9 - Heroes of Dunkirk

The rest of the ride was spent catching up, Tommy leaving out as much about the things he had seen as possible.

"Look," Alex said as he walked back over, pointing at the cliffs. "Is that Dover?"

"No," Peter shook his head as he came to sit with them. "That's Dorset. But it's home." It was quiet.

"We let you all down, didn't we?" Alex finally got out.

"Of course not," Sandra told him honestly. He only nodded before walking away, not completely believing her. "You do know that, right? That no matter what, we are all so proud of you. What we want most is just for you to stay alive." Tommy nodded, leaning his head on her shoulder and she held him, running her fingers through his hair.

***

They pulled up to the marina, all of the soldiers getting off and helping those who were wounded. George's body was carried out on a stretcher, a sheet covering his body.

"Christ," one of the officers let out as he counted the men leaving the boat. "How many you got in there?" he asked, glancing at Mr. Dawson.

"I can't believe you already have to go," Sandra let out, clutching at Tommy's shoulders. "I just got you back."

"I know," he said quietly. "You know I wish I could stay."

"I know."

"We were lucky," he forced a smile. "How many people do you think got to see loved ones getting out of there?"

She nodded and smiled. "I love you," she finally said.

"I love you too," he whispered, leaning his forehead against her. "I'll see you soon, alright?"

"Alright." He pressed his lips to her, both savoring the time they had together, knowing it was possible that it could be the last for a long time or even forever.

"I love you," he told her again, holding her hand as long as he could as he joined the line of soldiers to get on the train. Sandra held on as long as she could until her fingers left his and she watched him disappear into the crowd. She turned as her brother walked over to her and she curled into his side as he put his arm over her shoulders.

"Come on." He kept his arm over her shoulders as they joined their father and went home.

***

Peter walked into the house, handing Sandra a copy of the paper. The main article was Churchill's addressing Dunkirk's evacuation.

"'Wars are not won by evacuations. But there was a victory inside this deliverance which should be noted,'" she read. "Our thankfulness for the escape of our army must not blind us to the fact that what has happened in France and Belgium is a colossal military disaster. We must expect another blow to be struck almost immediately. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France. We shall fight on the seas and oceans. We shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air. We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches. We shall fight on the landing grounds. We shall fight in the fields and in the streets. We shall fight in the hills. We shall never surrender. And even if this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving then our Empire beyond the seas,armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old."

"Look down," Peter told her.

"'Local Boy, George Mills, Just Seventeen, Hero at Dunkirk,'" she read the headline under the main article, looking to see George's picture. She let out a breath as a tear fell down her face and she hugged her brother.

This is it! I have a small epilogue, but that's all. I hope that you all enjoyed this book. I do think I'm going to come back and rewrite it at some point. Seeing it again after I wrote it made me realize that there are some things I want to work on. Happy new year everyone!