Chapter 5 - Second Rescue

"George!" Sandra yelled, pushing through the men and running down the stairs. Peter quickly followed as Sandra gently put her hand on George's body.

"What have you done?" Peter demanded, glancing at the soldier.

"You're alright," Sandra tried to calm George down as he whimpered in pain.

"Hang on," Peter said, grabbing a life jacket. Sandra gently lifted George's head and placed it on top of it. "Just keep pressure on it," he said, passing Sandra a towel and she gently placed it on the back of his head, but firmly enough to try to stop the bleeding.

"There we go," she said as she held it with one hand and brushed the hair out of his face with another. "Can you hear me, George? George?" He only continued to whimper and Sandra turned to her brother, the fear clear in her eyes. He put a hand on her arm before looking up the stairs to see the soldier in the corner again. "Peter? Peter," she said again, getting his attention.

"Yeah?"

"I need the first aid kit."
"Okay," he nodded, getting up and bringing it back as fast as he could. She wrapped George's head and moved him to a more comfortable position.

"Sandra?" George asked quietly.

"I'm here," she said, taking her hand in his as she sat next to her brother.

"You're always here."

"And I always will be," she smiled at him. "You're our third Musketeer."

He smiled too. "It's the best thing I've ever done. Being friends with the two of you and working with Mr. Dawson," he told them, his words slower than usual. "Sea Cadet is the only thing I've ever done. I told my dad I've done nothing at school and that I would do something one day. Maybe get in the local paper. Maybe my teachers would see it."

"Okay, get some rest," Peter told him. "I need you back on deck as soon as your able."

"Here, take some water," she tried, but he turned away.

"I can't."

"Can't what?" she asked gently.

"I can't see." Sandra tightened her grip on his hand before turning to her brother, both unable to speak.

"It's alright," she finally got out. "You're gonna be alright. Just rest." They watched as he closed his eyes, breath leveling off as he went to sleep. They went up the stairs, joining their father at the wheel.

"We've put a bit of pressure on it and Sandra strapped it up and made him comfortable."

"What?" he asked, sensing his son wanted to say more.

"It's bad, Dad. Should we turn back?"

"We've come so far," he sighed.

"Dad, is that one of ours?" she asked as she saw a large ship getting closer.

"That's a Heinkel. They'll go for that minesweeper there."

"Hang on. Shouldn't we stand by to pick up survivors?"

"To do that, we have to survive ourselves," he said as he turned the wheel and they got ready.

"Spitfires!" Peter yelled as he saw them fly closer. "He got him!"

"The Heinkel's moving off!" he told them.

"Dad, there's smoke coming from the spitfire!" Sandra yelled.

"Watch for a parachute!" he ordered, getting ready to drive the boat closer to the plane quickly falling towards the ocean.

"No 'chute!" Peter yelled right before the plane hit the water. "He's down!" The kids glanced at the engine as its noises became louder and the boat went faster. "Dad. Dad, watch the engine. Dad, he's down. There was no 'chute." He didn't say anything, only continuing to drive. "Dad, come on! There was no 'chute! He's probably dead!"

"Damn it, I hear you, Peter! I hear you!" Peter recoiled back a bit towards his sister. "He may be alive. Maybe. We may be able to help him."
"We should try to save as many as we can," she told her brother quietly. They watched the plane as they got closer to it. "He's still in there!" she called, trying to find something to help as the pilot struggled to get out.

"Move!" Peter yelled, grabbing an oar and beating on the glass until it broke, the pilot swimming through.

He panted, giving them a small nod. "Afternoon."

"Afternoon," they gave him a small smile and he grabbed onto the oar, the siblings helping him over the side.

I know these chapters are really short compared to my other books and I apologize. It's a short book in general. I knew this was gonna be a shorter one and I honestly just did it because I wanted to. Thank you for reading though! Sorry I haven't been posting. I'm getting back into my regular schedule though.