Chapter 3

Two Weeks Later

"Fern, lunch is ready," Bucky's voice hummed in her head for a few minutes, but all Fern could do was look at him with a weak smile. "Fern, you have to eat something, or Shuri and Banner will force you to do it somehow."

Fern opened her mouth to respond, but the words were stuck in her throat; she nodded, letting Bucky take her hand and slowly help her stand from the bed. Bucky smiled, pressed a kiss to her cheek, and wrapped an arm around her waist before walking them out of their room and down the long hallways to the dining room where some of the team sat. Fern weakly smiled as Bucky pulled her chair out; a plate of fruit was placed in front of her and a bowl of soup.

"Pick one," Bucky chuckled as Fern stared down the two food options. Fern pressed her lips together and pulled the bowl of soup closer. Bucky moved the fruit plate in front of him and began to pick at it as he watched Fern slowly eat the soup. "Good?"

Fern nodded, smiling at the warmth the soup filled her with. She was shocked with herself when the bowl was empty. It was only a few moments after Bucky waved his hand, and another bowl was placed in front of her. "Don't eat it if you don't want to; it could make you sick if you overeat, but it's there." He reassured her. Fern carefully took a few more bites of the soup. Knowing Bucky was right, she needed to pace herself.

The two of them sat there a few minutes before Tony walked in; sitting next to Fern, he placed a kiss on the side of her head. "Hey, kiddo," He smiled. "Are you feeling better today?" Fern nodded, giving Tony a thumbs up, and pointed to the empty bowl sitting in front of her and the half-eaten one.

"It's the most she's eaten in one sitting since she woke up," Bucky noted, rubbing his thumb along her knuckles.

"That's good, has she?" Tony hesitated. Fern bowed her head, her eyes looking to her and Bucky's connected hands. "You'll get there. But, honey, they're hurting as much as you are." Tony's words hit Fern harder than she expected them to; she had already heard it from everyone else. But it hurt far too much to see her animal companions. Tears filled her eyes as she remembered her waking moments.

∆Ω∆

Fern's eyes fluttered open; carefully looking around the dimly lit room, she smiled, finding Bucky sleeping next to her with his head resting on top of their intertwined hands. She wiggled her legs a little, feeling the large body that was sleeping next to them. Fern grinned as Ryker's ears perked at her movement. She reached her hand out and scratched in between the wolf's ears, the action enough to stir the sleeping soldier.

"Fern?" Bucky rubbed his eyes as she turned her head to look at him, smiling at her soldier. "Oh, thank god." Bucky cried, pulling her into his arms. The pair cried together for a moment, both happy to be together again, but Fern cried for another reason.

Bucky slowly pulled away, noticing that Fern was crying far harder than he was expecting her to. "Doll, what's wrong?" He cautiously asked.

"I can't hear him." Fern glanced at Ryker for a second, seeing that the wolf fully understood what was happening.

"Oh, Doll, it's all going to be okay." Bucky hummed, pulling her into his arms as she continued to sob. Bucky watched Ryker jump down from the bed and leave the room and wished that there was more he could do.