Chapter 4

"So, do you intend ever to speak again?" Shuri asks as she and Fern walk along the bank of the lake. Fern bit her lip, glancing at Shuri with a slight shake of her head. "Well, that's a shame. How will you ever tell Bucky that you love him; ever tell your friends how much they mean to you; if you never speak?"

Fern opened her mouth, willing herself to speak because Shuri and everyone else was right; she couldn't live the rest of her life like this. "If you wish, I've been working on technology that will allow you to speak with your animals again. I started it for Bucky, but he refused, saying it was your job to speak with them. If that is what has scared you from sharing your voice with the rest of us, I find that very unfair." Fern laughed at Shuri's comment.

"Leave the girl alone, Shuri; she has a lot going on," The pair turned to T'Challa, standing only a few yards away from them with Bucky at his side. "Are you ready?" The king asked, a sad smile on his face as the girls walked up to him.

Fern paused, looking down at her feet. They were sending the Thunderbird off to its final resting place. "Yes," Fern whispered. She watched as Bucky took her hands and pulled her into a hug. Fern couldn't believe how difficult it was to fully realize that the Thunderbird was gone, along with a part of Fern.

∆Ω∆

The Avengers, the Wakandan royal family, and Dora Milaje stood at the lakeside. Fern, Bucky, and the young Thunderbird stood before the others. Fern took a lot of thought into how she wanted to lay the Thunderbird to rest, and her only idea was sending the beast off with a funeral that was only fit. "Are you ready, Doll?" Bucky asked, squeezing Fern's hand. She nodded as they stepped forward and pushed the wooden boat that the Thunderbird's body laid out into the lake. Fern and Bucky then turned to the young Thunderbird as the Dora Milaje chanted.

Fern took a deep breath looking at the young Thunderbird; this was her first real interaction with the creature. She stepped forward, letting the bird sniff at her hand before running her hand along his feathers and resting their foreheads together. "I'm so sorry. I know I haven't been here for you, but that will change from now on. Now, you must take flight and create a storm that your mother would be proud of." She whispered to the Thunderbird and stepped away. They watched the Thunderbird flaps its wings, the sounds almost unbearable to be near as it lifted off the ground and began to fly around with a loud screech.

"He's a natural." Fern smiled as the young Thunderbird raced through the air, and the rain began to fall; thunder cracked through the clouds, and bolts of lightning shot out of the sky. Fern turned to Thor and weakly smiled, "His aim needs work, do you mind?" She asked the God of Thunder.

"It would be my honor, Lady Fern." Thor smiled, stepping forward. Thor held his ax in the air as lightning flowed around his body, and soon a bolt came down onto the Thunderbird's resting place and lit it aflame.

Fern smiled as tears slipped down her wet cheeks. "Goodbye, dear friend."