Chapter 6

"Fern, there's something you need to see," T'Challa announced, entering the stables. Fern and Bucky shared a concerned look due to the tone of the King's voice.

"What's going on? Did something happen?" Fern asked as she and Bucky followed T'Challa out of the stables to the castle's front. A group of outer village members stood with the Royal guard awaiting the trio's arrival.

"There's been a sighting," One of the villagers said.

"What kind of a sighting?" Fern asked, an uneasy feeling coming over her. Without her powers, Fern still felt useless most days.

"One of the villagers believes they've seen another Thunderbird flying over the village," Okoye explained.

Fern looked at Bucky; a mixture of joy and concern filled her. "This could go one of two ways, the first being that the Thunderbird could be passing through; the second is that the Thunderbird has caught wind of Mellan in its territory and is looking to challenge him. We need to investigate further before we can be sure. Mellan must be kept in the stables until we have assessed the situation." Fern knew the Wakandans could easily handle the situation, but she was thankful they came to her. This was technically her area of expertise.

"When would you like to leave?" T'Challa asked.

"As soon as possible, gather a team."

∆Ω∆

Fern checked over her bag again; she questioned her ability to lead this expedition. T'Challa had given her the lead. "Are you sure that you don't want me to come? You should at least take one of my translators." Shuri stood at the door of Fern's room.

"I'm sure. I need you here in case something goes wrong." Fern smiled, pulling her bag onto her back and walking out of the room with Shuri.

"T'Challa gets to go." Shuri groaned.

"He's the king. Plus, it wouldn't end well if I told him to stay here." Fern stood a few feet from where Bucky, T'Challa, and Okoye waited for her. "We only plan to be gone two days at the max. I'm hoping to destress the situation faster than that."

"Fine, go have fun without me."

"You act like you won't have constant contact and video feed. Get your royal, genius ass back in that lab before I make you." Fern rolled her eyes, leaving Shuri's side and meeting with the small team.

"Are you sure you don't want to take a larger team?" Okoye asked, looking between them.

"We're pushing it with seven of us. Thunderbirds are very territorial; let's not push them too much." Fern chuckled. "Let's move; if we're lucky, they'll have just eaten lunch by the time we get there. They like to have a schedule." Fern and Bucky walked ahead of T'Challa and Okoye, who were still confused.

"Seven?" The pair were startled by the animals racing past them to catch up to their humans. "Seven."

∆Ω∆

Fern sniffed the air coming to a stop that confused her companions. Ryker growled, circling the group as Buzz and Elder landed on Fern's shoulders. "Buzz, do your thing," She ordered, glancing up at the greying sky.

"Fern," Bucky began.

She waved him off, gripping Ryker's scruff as he stood in a guarding position between her legs. Buzz zipped past Bucky, chirping at Fern as he zipped around in the air. "We have company." Fern stated as a dark figure flew over them. Bucky, T'Challa, and Okoye took stances, ready to defend the group.

Fern bit back a laugh as she walked past them, "You coming? It landed in the tree line."

"I am questioning her sanity right now." Okoye sighed, giving a worried look to her king.

"Her confidence hasn't changed, that's for sure," Bucky chuckled, "She knows what she's doing even without her powers. Remember, Fern spent years studying the creature." He jogged to catch up with her. Bucky wasn't about to let Fern walk up to a strange Thunderbird without backup, even with his confidence in her.

The group stopped a few yards from the Thunderbird, Bucky grabbing Fern's arm to stop her from marching up to the Thunderbird without a plan. "You can't walk up to that thing without a plan, Fern. It's not Mellan or Thunder." Bucky sighed, giving her a disapproving look.

"Well, Thunder is dead, and we've known Mellan since he was a hatchling." Fern glared at Bucky. She feels as if she's been stabbed in the chest at any mention of Thunder; Fern feels terrible because she was ready to slap Bucky. "Let me do my thing. If I can't, then you can save me. Cool?" Fern didn't wait for an answer as she turned on her heel.

"You can't do your thing anymore, Fern," Bucky muttered, watching her walk up to the Thunderbird.

"She's asking to get eaten by the creature." Okoye hissed.

"Have faith; she knows what she is doing. Powers or not." T'Challa smirked at his companions.