Chapter 15

Two Months Later

"Are you sure this is what you want?" T'Challa sat with Fern on the mountain, looking over the early morning landscape. Fern sighed happily, giving the king a nod. "You are always welcome here; Wakanda is home whenever you need it."

"Thank you, T'Challa. For everything that you've done for me. Your country has shown me far more hospitality than needed and given me a second home. But I need to return home and finish picking up the pieces. I have to rebuild." Fern looked at the sky, watching Mellan glide through the sky and bring a soft rain.

"And the Thunderbird?" T'Challa questioned.

"Wakanda is far more of the natural habitat of the Thunderbird, and I feel that he'd be better protected here. Thunder knew what she was doing, but she had years of experience before making a home in the forest. Mellan, he needs to learn from others like him," Fern smiled, watching the older adolescent Thunderbirds fly behind Mellan, bringing claps of thunder with them. She giggled as the team raced up behind Mellan and sent a gust of wind at him, which he returned.

"Well, if that's how you feel, I'll be sure to keep you up to date about the Thunderbirds. The dry season won't last long with those three around this year." T'Challa chuckled, watching the trio play in the sky. A subtle chime alerted the pair that it was time for them to return to the palace. "You're going to be late for your flight."

"I think it'll wait," Fern smirked. She looked at the Thunderbird once more, giving a light sigh. "Shall we?"

∆Ω∆

"You know we can stay longer; it's not like the forest is going anywhere," Bucky sighs, wrapping his arms around Fern's waist as he stands behind her.

"I know, but Mellan needs to spread his wings for a while. They'll find me if they need me." Fern notes, glancing at the currently empty sky. "You just don't want to go home and deal with everyone."

Bucky groans at the thought. "Of course. Here, I get you to myself as much as I want. Everyone seems to think the place is the big new vacation spot."

Fern giggles at how dramatic the soldier could be. "It is my house, Buck. If I tell them to leave, they kind of have to."

Bucky rolls his eyes, "Sure, I can't wait to watch you tell Nat and Wanda no. Or Peter, Tony, Clint, Sam, Steve, Pepper, hell, even Loki or Thor. You can't tell them no, Fern; you cave too easy."

"Sometimes, Mr. Barnes, I swear you have no confidence in me," Fern smirks, turning to face him. "If you must know, the house has been barred completely off limits to everyone for a minimum of a week unless there is a world-ending emergency. If I want to make it longer or shorter, I can." She fists his shirt pulling his face down to hers.

"Then I think we should get out of here. My week of Fern and only Fern is ticking away." Bucky grinned, taking her lips with his own, his right hand coming up to thread through her hair, left wrapped around her waist, pulling her impossibly closer.

"You would think the two of them have just seen each other again after many years apart."

Fern stifled a laugh pulling away from Bucky and looking at the group of animals behind them. Since the day Fern accepted her powers and saved Thora, a lot has changed. The three Thunderbirds have now teamed up with Elder, Ryker, and Buzz to torment Fern and Bucky. Relentless with their teasing, just like a bunch of children.

"Go ahead, Thora, keep it up. Let's not forget about that conversation we had," Fern glared at the Thunderbird. It was no secret at this point why Thora and Boran had been away from the Thunderbird nest. Two young ones in love, the elders wouldn't allow it, so they ran. That was how Thora was injured; in their escape, they were caught, only managing to get away after a fight.

Fern was furious when she discovered this and took it into her own hands to make it right– it was her responsibility now. She demanded Thora and Boran take her to the Thunderbird nest they came from. It was time that the Thunderbirds knew what had happened to Aella and that Fern was now their Queen. It would also be good for Mellan to see more of his kind.

There was a riot when they arrived at the Thunderbird nest; lucky that there wasn't an all-out war, Fern calmed the beasts. She learned that Thora and Boran had been the last Thunderbirds hatched since the Queen had left, the last eggs to be laid and have the queen's blessing. Without the queen to give her blessing, pairs would not produce eggs, and without a ruler, the species would no longer exist.

Fern made a deal with the Thunderbirds; she would give her blessing if Boran and Thora were allowed back in the nest, and they would help care for Mellan. There was no argument. Fern also informed the Thunderbirds that she wouldn't be staying in Wakanda forever. She would return home and make visits to check on them. But in her absence, Thora and Boran were her ambassadors; if they could not solve the problem, it would be brought to Fern. Never an objection, but Fern's word was law to them when she thought about it.

Once they had returned to the palace grounds, Boran and Thora asked that Fern allow them to live away from the nest, they would happily spend time there, but they didn't want to live there. So with T'Challa's permission, Boran and Thora would stay in the mountains not far from the city, and Mellan would remain with them as well because that was Fern's deal to make with the pair. If they wished to live away from the nest, Mellan would have to go with them. He was their responsibility when Fern was away. It would also be a good test for the pair to see their future, not that Fern hadn't already seen it.

And now, weeks later, it was time for everyone to say goodbye until they would all gather together once again.

Fern smiled at the creatures before her; pure joy was all she could feel when she looked at them. "Take care of each other. If you need anything, T'Challa, and his people are here for you. They will send word for me the second you need me." Fern pressed her head against theirs as they bowed to meet her. She looked to Mellan, who now towered over her by nearly three feet. "Be good, my boy. I will come to see you again soon."

"Home?" Mellan's gentle word seeped into her. He was slowly learning to speak with her, and by the time they saw each other again, Fern was sure he would have no problems.

"Yes, home. I have to make sure that there is still a home for you to come to if you ever wish." Fern bit her lip, trying to hold back the tears that wished to fall.

"You. Mellan. Home." That did it; there was no stopping the tears racing down Fern's cheeks.

"You're my home too, baby boy. I'll be back soon, I promise. You know the way home if you can't wait." Fern cradled Mellan's big head, pressing a kiss to it.