Chapter 14

"You know, things would have been much easier if Thunder had acted like this the first time she met Thor," Sam chuckled, watching Mellan play with Thor. The young Thunderbird was so interested in the Thunder God and how he was able to make lightning come from nowhere.

"Yeah, tell me about it," Bucky rolls his eyes as Mellan tries to eat the lightning Thor has bouncing around on the end of his axe. "Sadly, Mellan is a baby and doesn't know that big idiot has used that lightning to kill many creatures like him."

"It wasn't something we did for fun, you know," Loki comments from next to them. "We fought beasts like them because they were killing people. I won't deny that Odin most likely did plenty of killing for sport, but when Thor and I fought the creatures, it was what we believed was right."

"You know, I think that's one of the most humane things I've ever heard you say," Sam smirks at the god.

"Don't make me regret–" Loki freezes, his gaze turning to his brother.

"What's wrong?" Bucky questions. He watches the silent conversation between the gods before the same shock he felt only days ago rushes through him once again. "Please tell me that was Thor." His voice is husky, eyes closing as he takes a deep breath.

"Sadly, my brother on wishes he could give off power like that," Loki mutters.

The wind begins to blow at nearly unbearable speeds. Crouching to the ground, the trio force their bodies to move against the wind and turn to look at the direction the wind was coming from. "The med tent!" Sam shouts, and as it is there, it was gone with the wind within seconds. They watched as Bruce changes into the Hulk, picking Shuri and another scientist up before running for cover.

"What's happening?" Thor shouts, crawling up next to his brother. "Is it the Thunderbird?"

"No. It's Fern." Bucky catches sight of the blond crouched next to the Thunderbird, a golden aura surrounding her.

"We have to do something! We'll be lucky if she doesn't blow us away, let alone the country!" Sam fights to gain traction on the ground, but gaining an inch, he would be pushed back a foot. "There has to be something we can do!"

"I can try to talk to her! I might be the only one able to survive if she attacks!" Thor slams his axe into the ground, beginning to pull himself forward.

"Stop!" Bucky grabs Thor's ankle. "If you get too close to her, she will kill you and everything else in sight. She isn't Fern right now. She's a human with a Thunderbird's soul at this point. You'll only bring her into an even bigger frenzy!"

"Then what do you propose we do! Wait it out?" Loki's annoyed glance at Bucky earns him one back from the soldier.

Bucky watches as the cyclone builds around Fern, blocking their view of her. He had to think quickly, but he couldn't risk getting hurt, let alone someone else. "No. You're going to get me over there." Bucky smirks.

"You want to go into that cyclone? Have you completely lost it? She will tear you to shreds the same as she would, Thor!" Loki looks at Bucky as if he had four heads.

"Hell no! You're going to work your magic and make an image of me over there! That way, if she does try to kill me, I won't die!" Bucky waits for the gods' answer, quickly growing impatient. "Look, we don't have time for you to figure out whether this is a good idea!"

"We don't have for you two to argue either! Something is happening!" Sam shouts, pointing to the cyclone.

The winds, never slowing, begin to clear, allowing the men to see Fern and the Thunderbird once again. Bucky's pulse quickens when the pair begin to rise into the air, the golden aura around Fern consuming both of them. The wind follows the pair into the air allowing the men back to their feet, continuing to watch the event unfold.

"What in the hell is happening?" Sam's jaw goes slack, watching Fern and the Thunderbird float in the air.

"She is saving her." The group jumps at the voice above them. Boran rests on the ground behind them, Mellan beside him. "The Queen is taking hold of her powers. Having the powers be given them, she had the accept them, or they would never awaken. She is no longer just a human. She is part Thunderbird, our new Queen."

Bucky fought back the fear he felt from Boran's words, keeping his focus on Fern. The gold aura continues to grow brighter, making it impossible to watch. Soon a crack of Thunder breaks through the air. The wind dissipates. Fern and the Thunderbird still stand in the sky, and the aura is also gone. Lightning cracks down on the pair.

Bucky clutches his chest, his heart pounding, his breathing shallow and getting harder. "Bucky, come on, man. Breathe." Sam grabs for his friend, trying to keep him upright. Sam was nearly in the same position as Bucky, but he was trying his damnedest to keep it together for the supersoldier.

"Look!" Thor shouts, bringing Bucky back from his blackening world. He pushes Sam off of him, looking to the sky.

The Thunderbird's wings spread, making another crack of thunder, with it a drizzle of rain. With a roar, the Thunderbird takes full flight, racing around the sky. The two beasts behind the men take flight, joining their friend in the air. "Where is she?" Bucky whispers. He tears his gaze away from the trio of Thunderbirds dancing around each other in the sky, looking for Fern. "Where is she?" Louder this time, more panic setting in.

"There!" Sam shouts as Bucky takes off in a full sprint.

He watches her fall, running as fast as he can to catch her. "Come on!" Bucky roars as he pushes himself harder, grabbing Fern from the air and clutching her to his chest, her weight and the impact throwing him off balance, sending him into the ground, rolling so Fern was on top of him, taking the blow to his back. They skid to a stop, Bucky taking quick breaths, trying to ignore the pain and force himself to focus.

"Fern. Come on, doll, you gotta say something." Cradling her face with one hand, Bucky presses their foreheads together. Eyes closed, Bucky listens, waiting. A sharp breath snaps his eyes open.

Clutching her chest, Fern coughs, hastily trying to pull air into her lungs. Her eyes flutter open, meeting ocean blue. There's a murmur around them, but their gaze doesn't break. "If I wasn't so damn happy to see you alive, I'd be demanding to know what the hell that just was."