Chapter 8

Fern carefully followed Boran through the Wakandan plains and stretches of the forest before coming to a large cliff face. She sighed at Ryker, "I don't think we'll be climbing that, do you?" She let out an uneasy chuckle, which Ryker snorted in reply.

The Thunderbird circled the cliff, slowly gliding down to land a few feet behind Fern. "I shall take you up the rest of the way. She understands that you only wish to help. When will your friends arrive?"

"I'll notify them on the way up." Boran lowered himself to the ground enough to allow Fern and Ryker to climb onto his back. Fern hugged Ryker tight to her side as Boran began to beat his wings, lifting them into the sky. Fern smiled at the rush she felt from being on the back of a Thunderbird; this time was far more pleasurable than the last.

The flight was short as they landed in a nest only a few moments later. Their location was pinging to the others, and hopefully, they would be there soon for the extraction. Carefully sliding off Boran's back, Fern's heart hurt at the sight of the sickly Thunderbird lying in front of her. "What's her name?" Fern asked cautiously, moving around the Thunderbird's head.

"Thora."

Fern nodded, kneeling, "Thora, my name is Fern. I'm here to help." She whispered, resting her hand close to the Thunderbird's beak so she could smell it. "Are you willing to trust my friends and me to help you?"

The Thunderbird gave a soft squawk and opened its eyes to look at Fern for a moment; it was apparent that the creature was in pain. "She is in too much pain to speak. But she understands."

"I'm sure she has full faith in you to protect her if we were to do anything to upset you." Fern stood hearing Ryker bark, indicating that the others had arrived. "I'm going to have to ask you to move to the sky while we get Thora situated for transport. You can follow us to the castle, or I will happily fly with you."

"I shall follow." Boran was in the sky a short moment later.

Fern waved to the ship, and soon Sam and Wanda came flying down to meet her. "What do we got?" Sam asked as he guided Clint into place.

"She's in pain and very weak. We'll have to get a net around her. We must do this as carefully as possible; we can't risk hurting her." Fern said as two others joined them next to the Thunderbird.

"So, what's your plan?" Bucky's voice came.

"I thought I asked you to take care of Mellan," Fern softly glared at him. The soldier flashed her a smile. "But I'm glad you're here. We'll carefully roll her to one side while Wanda moves the net under Thora with her powers. Then we'll roll her to the other side and do it again." She explained.

"Sound's easy enough." Loki confidently grinned. "Let's do it."

"Don't get too confident; if Boran doesn't like one thing we do, he will attack. So Loki, part of your job will be to ensure that we don't die if he does." Fern bittersweetly grinned at the god. His smile faltered at her words.

"You expect me to distract or fight a creature of that size on my own? Do you know what they are capable of?" Loki hesitantly looked at the creature flying above them.

"Is yes not the answer that you want?" Fern sarcastically replied. "I'll keep an eye on Boran. Let's move people." Fern looked at the Thunderbird flying above them before taking the lead.

"Buck, I want you and Loki in the middle; you're both stronger than Sam and I; Sam, you'll help guide her feet and tail as we roll; I've got her head." She looked to Wanda rolling the net into place, "Alright, on my count. Three, two, one, roll!"

Carefully the heroes rolled the Thunderbird onto her side, and Wanda moved the net under the creature as quickly as possible. "Alright, let's set her back into place," Fern called as Wanda gave her a thumbs up. Fern winced as the Thunderbird gave a harsh screech, "Shh, it's okay, Thora. I know you hurt, and I know this isn't the easiest way, but we only need to roll you once more. Then we'll get you into the air, and that'll take some of the pain away until we get to help." She whispered, pressing her head against the Thunderbirds, trying to comfort it.

"Fern, it's getting antsy," Bucky called, looking at Boran in the sky, beginning to circle like a bird to its prey.

Fern looked to the sky and then back to Thora; she sighed, nodding. "Let's do this and get her into the air as quickly as possible. The second the net is secure, I want Clint to get this bird in the air." Everyone nodded, and Sam replayed the message up to Clint. The team was quick; Wanda and Sam worked together to secure the straps to the net.

Fern looked between the team and the jet; taking a deep breath, she jumped up and grabbed onto the net, climbing her way into the net with the Thunderbird. "Doll, you sure that's the best place to be?" Bucky called, holding Ryker back to keep from jumping into the net with her.

"Yes, she needs someone. Let's get her to the castle; we're already low on time as it is."