Chapter 7

Fern took a deep breath looking up at the Thunderbird in front of her. She scanned it and slowly moved around it to thoroughly look at it; she chuckled as she stood in front of it again. "Have you learned telepathy yet? At your age, I wouldn't expect it." Carefully Fern held her hand out to the young Thunderbird. It screeched, sniffing at her hand. "There's no need for that; I won't hurt you." In the short while that Fern had been working with Mellan and her reading of Shuri's notes when Fern was in her coma, she's been able to learn more about the temperament and life stages of young Thunderbirds.

The Thunderbird took caution as it pressed its beak into Fern's hand, "See, I'm friendly. Now, why don't you try telling me what's going on?" She smiled as the bird pulled away.

"You are odd."

"Thank you. I am Fern. Do you have a name?" Fern was impressed that the Thunderbird was willing to speak openly with her. As it was still an adolescent, it hadn't learned to fear humans like most.

"You smell like me. I am Boran; it is nice to meet you, Fern."

"Boran, that's a nice name." Fern smiled as Elder and Buzz flew around the giant creature. She watched their body language seeing if they feared the young Thunderbird, they would be her best tell if something would happen. Ryker sat at her side, waiting for an order or something to feel off to him. "Boran, I must ask why you have shown yourself to the villagers? Thunderbirds tend to stay above the clouds out of sight."

"I was taught to stay hidden, but when I witnessed what the people had done for the fallen Queen, I knew I could ask for help."

Fern froze at the Thunderbird's words, "Queen?" Thunder was a Queen? Fern's heart hurt at the feeling growing in her chest.

"Yes, Queen Aella, she ruled our kind. News of her death spread quickly between the Thunderbirds, though no one had heard of her hatchling. I hoped that by gaining the attention of the humans, I would be able to find out."

"You said before that you needed help, was finding the hatchling what you needed help with?" Fern questioned. If Thunder had been a Queen, that meant Mellan was a Prince, and he needed to be with his kind more than ever, but Fern wasn't sure if she was ready to give him up yet.

"No, my companion has been injured and is not healing. I fear the spiritual balance has shifted because of the Queen's death. If I can locate the hatchling, it might be able to help. But until then, maybe you humans can help us."

Fern was shocked at the Thunderbird's words; Mellan had abilities beyond what she knew. "Let me speak with my friends. I'll only be a minute." The Thunderbird bowed its head, and Fern sprinted back to Bucky.

"She was a Queen," Fern grabbed onto Bucky's shoulders. "Thunder was a Queen, meaning Mellan is a Prince."

"The Thunderbird told you that?" T'Challa asked.

"Yes, but what's important right now is that Boran's friend is hurt, and they need our help. They need Mellan's help." So many emotions rose in Fern as she bounced on her heels. Bucky rested his hands upon her shoulder to calm her; he shared a look with T'Challa that caused Fern's smile to fade. "You don't trust him."

"Sweetheart, no one–"

"That means you don't trust me." Fern shook her head, stepping away from them. "Okay, then go. I'll handle this myself; I don't need powers or you to help a creature in need." She sneered mostly at Bucky.

"Fern."

"No. You don't get to Fern me. I'm helping this Thunderbird; I'm calling Tony so he can take me and Mellan home. I was fine on my own for years; I do not need you to make me need you. I do not need you, James Barnes, not when your heart is the only thing you're thinking about." Ryker growled, turning Fern's attention away from Bucky and to the Thunderbird. It flapped its wings defensively, screeching as T'Challa walked closer to it.

"T'Challa don't," Fern warned; she could only imagine what could happen if the bird hurt T'Challa. The king waved her off as he stopped before the Thunderbird and bowed. She watched the silent exchange holding herself back from running over to prevent anything from happening.

T'Challa soon walked back over, a sad look on his face, "It does not wish to speak with me. Only Fern." He spoke, giving Bucky a stern look. T'Challa turned to Fern, his expression softening, "I need you to tell me that it isn't going to be a threat and that if it does, you will be able to handle it."

"Of course, everything goes through you. Boran won't hurt anyone until he feels threatened. They'll always stay in the open stables under my watch." Fern turned to the Thunderbird, watching as it snapped its beak at Buzz and Elder flying around it.

"Good, go with it to find the other; I will send a team to help move it to the stables." T'Challa turned with Okoye and began walking away.

"I'll go with you," Bucky stated, going to follow Fern.

She quickly turned to him, holding her hand out to stop him. "No, go back with them. I don't need a reason for the Thunderbirds to spook. You will get Clint, Wanda, Sam, and Loki together to help with the transport of the other Thunderbird."

"You're joking, right? Aside from you, I have the most experience with Thunderbirds; but you're sidelining me from helping because you got a little mad at me?" Bucky fought.

"No, I'm sending you to get the people I trust as much as you, even if I'm mad at you. I need the two best pilots we have and two people who can control the Thunderbird if things get out of hand. I am using the resources that I have. I expect you to ready the stables and Mellan for when we arrive, he hasn't seen another Thunderbird since Thunder, and he trusts you more than anyone." Fern sighed, glancing between Bucky and the Thunderbird.

"Everything could go unbelievably wrong, Buck. And I feel like no one believes in me right now, so stop looking at me like that for one second and do as I ask of you because I have to do this." Tears brimmed her eyes, and she whipped them away quickly.

"You know, the last time you asked me to do something like this, I almost lost you." Bucky's voice was soft no matter how angry he wanted to sound right now. Bucky has complete faith in Fern, and he always will, but she puts everything on the line for these creatures without thinking about herself and everyone else. Carefully he walked over, wrapping his arms around Fern, trying his best to hold himself back from saying something that would upset her.

"And this time, we aren't being attacked by Hydra."