1

A/N: Title, cover, and description are all a work in progress and are subject to change later. A longer explanation of what this is at the end.

Maybe read enjoy? :)

------------------------

Normani Kordei Hamilton-Hansen sat behind her large, mahogany desk on a rainy Wednesday morning. She stared at her computer and took a sip of coffee from her to-go cup, willing anything to suddenly appear in her email.

Not that she wanted her inbox to be flooded, but even just one email would break the monotony of the morning. However, nothing came through. It seemed as though the day would drag on as slow as molasses then.

She could go downstairs and check on any of the occupants of the studios and see what was happening. However, admittedly, she didn't want to scare renters with her presence. Most of them were older teens or young adults with little to no experience working in a studio who were just trying to get some studio quality tracks for whatever little garage band projects they had. Normani didn't want to intimidate them with her presence as the owner of Love Lies Records. There was also her own success as an independent artist, which allowed her to build the studio from the ground up.

So, no, she wouldn't go downstairs and look over things. Her studio engineers could handle things on their own just fine.

Her computer dinged, breaking her from her thoughts. She sat up and set her coffee aside as she clicked on the email. It was another small group looking to reserve some studio time next week. After a couple of correspondences, Normani had them booked, and that left her back with nothing else to really for the time being.

She was just about to open the software to start working on some backing tracks for her own side project when another ding sounded, though this it wasn't her work email. It was her personal email on the laptop beside her desktop.

Normani frowned, and it deepened when she saw where the email come from.

The caseworker from Child Services she and her wife had been talking to had sent a new file.

Normani and Dinah had recently been licensed to foster after a lengthy process. Normani was surprised they were being considered for a placement already.

Normani opened the email and read it through, pausing at one specific paragraph.

I know that you and Mrs. Hansen-Hamilton said you wanted one child, but I thought you would be a good fit for a pair of young sisters currently in our care. They're both extremely shy and reserved, and I don't think their current group home or a foster home with multiple kids in it are best for them. I also believe separating them would be a bad idea, which might happen if we can't find a placement that would be willing to take them both in.

The rest of the email went on to say that they should email back if they were interested, and they would get a copy of the girls' files to look through.

Normani reached for her phone, instinctually picking the contact she wanted to call.

"Hey, baby. You're not cancelling lunch on me today, are you?" Dinah's lightly raspy voice greeted.

"No, we're still on for lunch," Normani assured. "I might have something important to discuss at lunch, however."

"Oh? What's up?"

"Well, Britt Walsh emailed me."

"The social worker?" Dinah questioned. "Does she want us to take in a child already?"

"She said we could potentially be a fit," Normani answered. "But, there's a catch. It's a pair of sisters."

Dinah was quiet on the other end for a few moments. "So, not just one child," she finally said, giving no indication of how she really felt on the matter. "Do you know anything about them?"

"Only that they're very shy and reserved, and Britt doesn't think it's a good idea to separate them. If we say we're interested, Britt will send their files over to look at."

"Are you- are you okay with taking in two kids?"

"I think I should be asking you that, D."

Dinah sighed on the other end. "It's our first placement, Mani," she said. "The most experience I have with kids is looking after my siblings as a teenager. I know I said I wanted to do this with you, and I do. I just don't want to get too in over my head."

"Hey, you'll have me right there with you," Normani promised. "If we do this, we do it together. Always."

Dinah stayed quiet for a minute, and Normani didn't pressure her to speak. The younger woman needed to process her thoughts, and Normani would wait.

Finally, Dinah spoke again. "Alright.  Ask Britt for the files. We'll look at them together."

----------------------

A/N: Let me know what you think.

More explanation below:

So, I highly doubt many people from when I originally was a consistent poster on here are still around. I had two kidsfics that I unpublished when I disappeared for two years, and even though I posted several of my original works and oneshots, I kept the kidfics unpublished for reasons.

Now that I am kind of sort of back, I had some thoughts about writing another kidfic, and this just sort of spawned. I'm not entirely sure this will go anywhere, I'm mostly just posting it to test the waters and see if there's any interest before proceeding to continue.

If you have any thoughts, please consider dropping a comment and letting me know. Hopefully this small introduction was enjoyable. :)

The Sun, the Moon, the Stars, I'll Give It Allजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें