3

A/N: Uhhhh my hands slipped again and I wrote another chapter????

Do not expect double updates like this often this is a fluke lmao.

Maybe read and enjoy? :)

------------------

It was still a week before Lauren and Ally were placed with Normani and Dinah.

Dinah had used the time to make the bedroom the girls would be using feel a little more welcoming.

They had already had the room painted a light gray color with dark blue accents, and a white bed set up with a basic navy blue bedding set. The evening after they had given their agreement to the social worker, the couple had gone out and gotten a second bed and dresser to put into the room.

Dinah did most of the work in setting up the bed frame. Normani was there mostly as moral support.

They had picked out another simple blue bedding set, but they planned to get some that matched more with the girls' personalities once they got to know the girls better.

Dinah did insist on getting several plush toys of various types, including a Simba and Nala, and a Stitch.

"Every kid's room needs them. The Lion King and Lilo and Stitch are the best Disney movies in existence. I will not take questions."

Normani had rolled her eyes, but didn't argue.

Now, though, the day of the placement had arrived. Normani had scheduled the day off at the studio (and because she mostly did administrative work at this point, she would be able to work from home as the girls adjusted to living with them). Dinah had scheduled a substitute for her classes for the rest of the week.

The doorbell rang, and Normani went to open the door as Dinah sat on the couch, not wanting to overwhelm the two girls.

"Hi, Ms. Walsh," Normani greeted softly as she pulled the door open.

The social worker gave a slightly strained smile. "Good morning, Mrs. Hamilton-Hansen. I hope you're ready to meet Ally and Lauren?"

Normani eyed the two girls who were hiding behind the social worker.

Ally's eyes were red and puffy, and there were dried tear tracks on her cheeks. Lauren was gripping tightly to Ally's hand, and though she seemed nervous, she didn't seem as distressed as her sister.

"There was a small freak out getting Ally into the car," Britt explained as she gently ushered the girls inside. She had been holding two small suitcases and set them down just inside the door.

Dinah stood up slowly from the couch, not wanting to startle either of the girls. "Hi there," she greeted quietly, glancing back and forth between the girls. "I'm Dinah. And the beautiful woman who let you in is Normani. We're very excited to meet you."

Ally whimpered softly and look at her feet.

Lauren chewed on the collar of her shirt for a moment before she spoke, "I Lauren," (it sounded more like Lo-in). With the hand that wasn't holding her sister's, she pointed at Ally. "Alwy."

Dinah hummed softly. "Lauren and Ally? Very pretty names."

Lauren only ducked her head and looked at the ground.

Apparently that was as much as she would say for the time being.

"We're still unsure why Ally is nonverbal," Britt said. "We think it's psychological. Hopefully, in a quiet, non-chaotic environment, she'll become comfortable enough to talk."

Dinah nodded, her eyes never leaving the girls. "We'll figure out a way to communicate in the meantime."

The social worker nodded. "Well, all of the girls' things are in the suitcases. There'll be a check-in within the next couple of weeks, but I'll get back to you later on that." She turned and crouched down in front of the girls. "The two of you will be staying here from now on," she explained gently. "I think you'll like it here a lot better than some of those other houses. I'm going to leave now, but I'll be back in a couple of weeks."

Dinah wasn't entirely sure the girls really understood the concept of weeks just yet, but neither Ally or Lauren seemed terribly distressed about Britt leaving.

"Do you girls want to see your room?" the blonde questioned quietly.

Ally still didn't look up, but Lauren did. She tilted her head back and slightly to the left to look at the taller woman.

Dinah smiled and waved her arm encouragingly. "Come on, let's go see your room. Normani can bring your suitcases in a bit."

Normani rolled her eyes. "You just want to do the fun part," she grumbled under her breath.

Dinah waited for the two girls to follow. She walked slowly so that the two could keep up. She stopped outside the door to the bedroom and slowly pushed it open and then stepped to the side to wait for the girls to enter first.

Lauren, still keeping hold of Ally's hand, peeked into the room first. Her eyes scanned over the room, eventually zeroing in on the stuffed animals on the beds. Her eyes lit up at one in particular. "'ala!" she exclaimed.

Ally looked up hesitantly, and she too seemed to brighten up a bit at the sight of the plush toys.

Lauren gently tugged Ally into the room, toddling over to one of the beds. She tried to reach for the Nala plush, but it was too far back on the bed, and even on her tip-toes she couldn't reach.

Dinah slowly approached and brought the Nala within arms' reach.

Lauren was quick to grab the lion and hug it to her chest. "ine?" she asked shyly.

Dinah nodded. "If you want it to be. Or maybe you could share it with Ally?"

Lauren shook her head. "Sim'a."

"Ally can have Simba?" Dinah clarified. At the younger girl's nod, she smiled. "Well, I suppose that's fair. But we can also get you both another Nala and Simba later."

Ally cautiously reached for the Stitch.

"Oh, good choice, Ally" Dinah praised softly. "Stitch is one of my favorites. Is he yours?"

Ally only nodded, clutching the plush tightly and ducking her head.

A gentle knock on the door sounded, and all three turned to see Normani standing at the doorway. "Picking out plush toys, hmm?" she asked softly as she approached.

"See, Mani, I told you Nala, Simba, and Stitch were the correct choices."

Normani rolled her eyes. "Yes, Dinah. You were right," she said with a monotone voice. She smiled as she looked at the two girls. "It's getting close to lunch time. Are you two hungry?" she asked with a more cheerful tone.

"Mani and I can set up the tv for you in the living room while we make lunch," Dinah suggested.

"Nala?" Lauren asked hesitantly.

"You want to watch The Lion King?" Normani clarified, receiving a nod in response. "Does Ally want to watch it?"

Ally only nodded.

"Sure, we can put it on then," Dinah said. "And, you can both bring your stuffed animals out to the living room. They'll have to stay on the couch when it's time to eat, though."

Lauren and Ally silently followed the two adults out of the room back toward the living room.

Normani and Dinah looked at each other as they walked. There were clearly adjustments to be made by everyone, but the couple were sure they could handle it.

-----------------

A/N: Hopefully you enjoyed, let me know what you think!

More about why Ally is so quiet will be revealed next chapter.

Don't expect multiple updates like this often. I was just too excited and this chapter happened.

Thoughts, comments, questions, ideas are always welcome.

See you in the next update! :)