Chapter 3

Lavda poured the wine as Briseis reclined on the couch. The heat of the day was beginning to pass for which Briseis was grateful. She'd spent the morning down at the wall supervising the construction. Everything was on track; just four months after repairs began on the Hittite side of the wall, it was nearly finished. Lavda's home was across the city in the merchant district, and from the balcony Briseis could see the portion of the wall her men were working to repair at that very moment. Briseis was too far away to see any people or much movement but just knowing they were there made her happy.   

Masters from the Builders' Guild had flooded the worksite since day one to observe how well this new stone held up. Her portion of the treasury wasn't as full with all the expenses that came with this venture, but at least with the reduction of Briseis' household to just one maiden it was easier to afford. Selling the eggs and feathers of her chickens had helped though many of the eggs also went into the creation of the stone. If Briseis was to keep her portion of the treasury a sizable sum she needed to find another source to grow it.

She'd briefly considered using her dowry but that money was carefully watched even though it sat unused. Hers in name only as it would all go to her husband though it was unlikely she'd have one at this stage in her life. Briseis had recently begun to suffer headaches with all the considerations that weighed on her. She'd needed to get away and that was how she found herself at the new home of her old friend.

"Success looks weary," Lavda joked as she handed the cup to Briseis.

"It's a weariness I'm learning to endure."

"You should be proud, Briseis." Lavda sat down on the couch opposite Briseis and sipped from her own glass. "You've earned the renown this has brought you. I've overheard people in the markets calling you Briseis the Builder." 

"Not the worse name I could be called. Better than Princess of the Black Sun at least."

"I still prefer that. I think it makes you sound fearsome."

"Such a desirous quality for the fairer sex," Briseis chuckled.

"Briseis, I have news for you. News I hope you'll be glad to hear but first I have a big surprise. Follow me." Lavda stood up and offered Briseis her arm. 

The private balcony they'd been using was silent and serene, the rest of the home was anything but. Servants and children ran back and forth in preparation for the coming of Lavda's parents. Lavda was the princess of a minor kingdom by the sea called Poseid named for the god of the ocean. Her older brother sat as king after their father had made the unusual choice to abdicate so his son might rule while still young.

Lavda was the seventh child of the king. Though royal, Lavda hadn't spent much time in the kingdom of her birth as she'd been sent to Pedasus at two years old to be raised alongside and serve Briseis. Pedasus was much more her home than that sea side kingdom. Though Poseid traditions were something the woman had kept alive and even improved on. Briseis had a sneaking suspicion she knew what surprise her friend was taking her to.

"I had the servants clear this room out for my use. It has the best light." Lavda threw open the doors to a circular room. It was small but faced the lake with its rivers that ran out to the sea. A refreshing breeze blew through the room carrying the scent of the water. Sunlight shone directly into the room from what was a retractable skylight.  

Briseis had heard of these but she'd never seen one before. The retractable ceiling was made of canvas and wood that shrank back to the edges of the stone hole. The ceiling could be retracted or extended by turning one of two wheels in the wall. Each wheel operated half the ceiling. Not many homes had these in the city. The technology to do it wasn't new to Pedasus but most of the people who could afford such a thing didn't see the point of having one. If they wanted to see the sky, stars or moon they would go outside. No sense in spending money on something so frivolous when you had the ability to do it for free.