Chapter 16

"He is a disgrace!" Hector was pacing back and forth in the dining hall. Paris' actions the previous night brought the festivities to a sudden and uproarious end. For the time being Priam ordered the gates of Troy sealed. No one could leave until the matter of what to do with this horrid situation was settled. "Father, I am not too proud to beg. Let me march into their quarters and take the woman by force so I may return her. We can't let Troy burn because Paris can't think or overcome his lusty desires. Have him dismissed from the city or given to Menelaus. He will not be an asset to Troy; his actions are proof."

The nobles and rich guests were confined to their quarters until this council decided the matter. Members of the royal families in attendance for this grand return turned sour, had been summoned by Priam along with high ranking military advisors. Briseis sat with her father around a very long table the servants had spent most of the night assembling. Vhasti opted out of these proceedings preferring to stay in her quarters.

The council had been in session six hours. It was nearing the heat of the day; soon they would be served a meal and take a three hour break. Briseis posted an owl outside Paris and Helen's quarters last night. The two appeared to be fighting for most of the time they'd been confined. She wished her birds could transmit sound as well as images.

"Hector is right," said one of the princes. Briseis didn't know which one, he was several years younger than the other three children of Hecuba and Priam she'd met. He might even be younger than Briseis as only wisps of a beard graced his checks. "We should send the woman back with all the treasures they stole and more to appease Menelaus."

One of the war generals let out an exasperated huff before speaking. "My dear princes, as I've already stated sending her back will likely solve nothing. Menelaus has suffered a grievance insult. From the moment Menelaus figures out Paris is responsible for this, there is nothing that will stop him from setting sail for our shores."

"No, no, no," one of the other visiting royals spoke up while slamming his hands on the table. "If we give him the treasure, the woman, and Paris to do with as Menelaus wishes, he will see reason. Menelaus is not an unreasonable man for all the trouble his bloodline has caused in the past."

Priam rolled his eyes. "I've said it a thousand times in this council and I will say it again–handing over my son to that Greek is not an option."

A young man stood up. "Father, if I may?"

"Speak Deiphobus," Priam gave his son the floor with a wave of his hand.

Briseis turned toward the man with her hand resting on her check to hear what he would say. As she gazed at him a memory was trying to stir in her mind but she wasn't sure what. He had a well cared for beard, appeared sharp eyed and darker of skin than all members of his family she'd seen except for Paris himself.

"Father, esteemed members of this council," Deiphobus began. "We are indeed in a situation that seems to have no answer. While this question stumps us we are missing a valuable opportunity. The Greeks will be scrambling as they answer Menelaus' call to arms. I do agree that nothing we do will likely stop the Greeks from setting sail."

"Then what are you saying, my prince?" asked one of the generals.

"It's quite simple; I am volunteering to take a handful of men and infiltrate the Greek ranks. We need to gather information about their forces and who answers the call."

"Spy craft is dishonorable!" The first general who'd spoken earlier turned purple at the suggestion. "We will win this war without such new and slimy ideas of your generation."

Deiphobus stroked his beard and took a deep breath. "The practice of having informants in the enemies' ranks is hardly new, General Yiannis. We stand on the brink of a war the likes of which the world has never seen. All of you are overlooking one important fact. Before Helen was wed to Menelaus a contest was held to find the most worthy among the suitors. Those who competed all swore to defend Helen, and by proxy her husband if she were kidnapped again; as she once was by Theseus which lead to her brothers Caster and Pollux destroying Athens. Thirty–six men swore that oath, more than half of which were kings or princes in the own right and can raise considerable forces against us.

Not all those men were, are even are current allies of Sparta. Some are even at war with each other now and we can assume once word of this gets out, those wars may well stop so they can join Menelaus in this crusade. We must know who intends to honor this oath and who is dead or an oath breaker. If we need to hire men from the Hitties, the Persians, both or more to combat this considerable force we will never be in a better position to do it. With all the wealth Helen and Paris took from Sparta we can hire a huge force without even touching our coffers. Once those ships land on our beaches hiring the men and bringing them here will become difficult if not impossible. If we want a sure and swift victory we must do all these things."

At this Briseis stood up. There were some murmurs at her actions as she was the only woman present excluding the servants. Priam waved his hand at her giving Briseis the floor. "King Priam and honored members of this council. I agree with Prince Deiphobus. In fact I have agents that can assist him in this endeavor and get the information to us faster than even he can do alone."

Her father stood up beside her. For a moment she was afraid he would declare the idea ludicrous and she was speaking of matters above her understanding. Which was a surprise when Briseus said, "My daughter has spent years cultivating spies which she uses to bring me information. I admit I have not always been supportive with this but her information has always been sound and helpful to my own kingdom."

Priam leaned forward. He folded his hands above his stomach and knit his brows together. "Circumstances such as these do require that whatever methods can be employed should be employed. Tell us more about these agents of yours, Princess. How have they been trained? How many do you have and how would they be able to get us whatever information there is to be had so quickly?"

Briseis thought fast. Her agents were owls, though she knew they were reliable, there was a fair amount of interpretation that had to be done with the information they brought her. However she had already thought of a way that could be remedied. It hadn't been tested but she would have an easier time convincing one man it would work rather than an entire council. "My honorable King Priam, forgive me but for the safety of my agents the less that is known about them the better and more secure they will be."

Priam nodded. "Very well. My son Deiphobus and Princess Briseis will head up this enterprise. Bring in the refreshments." With his words the meal started to be served. "After we partake we will meet here again in three hours."

A/N This chapter is dedicated to my best friend, are you happy now? 😉  johnbwes