Chapter 10

"Princess." Kegarta walked into Briseis' chamber. The Princess was folding dresses into one of the chests she'd be taking to Troy. She'd already packed two full and had sent Kegarta to her vault to select the most valuable jewelry she owned to take along. After this they'd have to select things for Kegarta, as the servant of the heir to a kingdom Kegarta must appear in fine attire as well, though not as flashy as Briseis' own things. Since there was no time to get anything made, Kegarta's attire would be a mixture of Briseis' more modest things and whatever they could purchase at the tailor ready made.

"The Head of Trade, Lord Leander requests an audience. Shall I show him in?" Kegarta asked while putting a box full of jewelry for review on the table.

Briseis looked around the room. Clothes were strewn over nearly every surface. Her ink well had been knocked over and in her haste to save her clothing she hadn't cleaned it up. Her chamber was a mess.

"Go ahead." Briseis rushed to the refreshment table and quickly cleared it before pulling up some water from her small well for tea. All the royal chambers were on this side of the palace for quick access to the small river that ran under a portion of the palace. The kitchens and garden were also on this side of the palace for expediency. Briseis poured the water from the bucket into the pot and had just set it over the small fire in her room when the door opened.

"Princess!" Leander walked into the room carrying a small wooden box with Kegarta closely behind.

"Lord Leander, you are a welcome surprise. Please forgive the state of my chamber. We have been summoned to Troy on short notice. Kegarta please inform the kitchens to bring a fruit platter. Would you like some tea?"

"Yes please." Leander laid his box on the floor and settled into one of the chairs around the small table.

"The leaves are fresh." Briseis told him as she poured water into the cups. Leander took the cup and sipped. "Some find this brew too bitter; I can add honey to yours if you'd like."

"I don't care for sweets too much," he said while taking in the disarray around them.

Briseis took a seat and sipped her own cup. "It's unusual for you to visit me. What has brought you here?"

"The summons to Troy." Leander lifted the box to the table, removed the lid and pushed the box over to her. "It's not much but it's the best I could do on such short notice. Your father and mother have also been given one."

Shimmering white silk, thin and deceptively strong lay inside. The silk was cool to the touch as she lifted it out of the box. It was little more than an under gown, there were no sleeves and the hem of the gown would come to her mid calf.

"Thank you, Lord Leander. I hope I have no need of this."

"Princess, if my sources are correct you might. I advise you to wear it underneath your clothing at all times while you're gone. My seamstresses and collectors are working from dawn to dusk to turn out more gowns for each of you."

"What circumstances do you speak of?"

Kegarta entered the room again with two serving girls behind her. One carried a tray of meat and cheese while the other held one of fruit. They quickly laid it out and left the room. Kegarta stayed standing a few feet away with her hands clasped in front of her.

"It's all hearsay at the moment but one of my merchants was selling to a Greek in Sparta. The Lost Prince has stolen Helen the wife of Menelaus, King of Sparta." Leander shook his head in dismay. "His actions are so unbelievable. I don't know how Troy can recover from this scandal."

Briseis waved her hand dismissively. "Mere gossip I'm sure. What prince would risk his kingdom for another man's wife? A man who has a brother more powerful and with a larger army; it's ludicrous."

Leander cocked his head to acknowledge her point but said, "Prince Alexander isn't known for his forward thinking from what I'm told. He's nearly a month overdue to Troy. Some are saying he and Helen are running rather than returning. Priam consulted the gods and believes he'll be back before the end of the month hence this sudden celebration. Although if it true he's stolen Helen he might run. I would but I have brains and this speaks to a huge lack of them in Alexander."

Briseis snorted. "I'll believe it when I see the Prince with Helen at his side."

🦉

"King Briseus of Pedasus, Queen Hecuba and I are delighted to welcome you to Troy. Make yourself at home while we await the glorious return on my son and sister."

"Thank you, great King. You honor us with your invitation and hospitality," Briseus said.

"Queen Vhasti, Princess Briseis," Queen Hecuba said, "I would like you to join me, the women of our court, and other high ladies tomorrow for the midday meal and afternoon activities."

"We will be there," Vhasti promised. The trio rose from their bows. Briseis had never been to Troy before. She was impressed with their famous wall, their center of commerce and the palace itself. King Priam and Queen Hecuba were something of a disappointment. Both were older even than her own parents. Though that shouldn't be so surprising considering their oldest son Hector was nearing fifty.

She'd heard tales all her life of how tall and strong Priam was, but the man who sat before her was very thin and oddly beardless for a man so old. Hecuba had painted her face for these greetings and styled her thick white hair atop her head. For clothing she wore a loose flowing blue gown. Where her husband seemed to sink into his throne, Hecuba sat so straight Briseis thought she was probably doing damage to her spine.

"Please accept these gifts, great ones," Briseis spoke clearly. With a gesture servants stepped forward with offerings of dried fruit, silk, and a small amount of gold. Guests or not it was not permitted to come empty handed before the rulers of the Troad.

"Thank you, Pedasus." King Priam gave a half bow to them as the servants added their bounty to the already overflowing table of gifts those before them had presented.

The family stepped away to watch the rest of the ceremony. Cushions and cold wine for their comfort had been provided as the ceremony was expected to be long. Instead of reviving the gifts as the guests had come, Priam preferred one large ceremony to showcase his power and what was due accordingly. Briseis sipped her wine as she settled in for a long and tedious wait.