Chapter 8

"A wasting sickness," Briseis said with concern. "And the physicians weren't able to help you, at all?"

"No," Lord Gregor chuckled sadly. "I know not how I so offended the great Apollo that he took both my sons and wife while I have lived so many long years."

"I can't imagine your sorrow. As I will never have children the joys and grief of child rearing I have only seen at distance."

The old man took the hand of the Princess. "Perhaps it's better that way. If I had known then what I do now, I would never have married and my sons would have been spared their final months of suffering. Of course even if I hadn't I'd still be here to consult the priests. My estate must be passed to someone and with my nephews and great–nephews and so many cousins beyond count I hardly know what to do. I've outlived so many clear heirs to my estate which makes fighting inevitable once I leave the world."

She didn't envy his position. Having family fight over what you leave behind upon your departing of the world was a bleak thing to consider. "The priests will give you an answer, my lord."

"Are you here for the same reason, Princess? Your troubles must be many without a marriage already arranged and your barrenness only makes the situation more complex."

"Indeed," she agreed immediately. "When the Prince of Troy broke our engagement the fate of the kingdom was in doubt. I have come here to seek an answer about who I should marry. It must be a man with heirs who are fit to rule Pedasus once I pass."

The lord nodded and a flash of ambition colored his eyes. "I pray that will not be for some time and you shall know many decades of happiness. Please don't think me too forward, my Princess. My house is full of men even some your own age, which have been widowed and left with young ones. Many worthy cousins and nephews removed by so many degrees I have lost count. If you can find no prince to take you, perhaps one of noble blood would suffice?"

"I will bring your offer to my father. The king and queen will have to be consulted. I am honored that you would want to mingle your house with mine."

Her answer seemed to satisfy him. "Of course. Shall we promenade?"

Briseis took the arm of the old man and pondered. He was the fifth to tell her a similar story. Even Lady Celine admitted before Briseis came with the offer of buying the vineyard, she'd been coming here to look for an heir to the estate. With so many telling the same tale she decided not to speak with the remaining nobles on the topic. Though to spare any hurt feelings a dinner was being arranged and all would be invited. Tonight if the writer of the message was true to their word she would get answers.

🦉

The torchlight played upon the walls casting shadow and light over the vestiges of Apollo and his great deeds. The walls told the tale of his birth along with his sister, then went on to tell how he defeated a great serpent and healed the sick. Briseis brought the torch closer to the wall and peered intently. She was in the very bowels of the temple searching for a clue as to who had held the temple before it was refitted for Apollo.

Her search of the front revealed nothing. The former facades where worshippers would spend most of their time had been totally destroyed and replaced with the new. Even for a temple that was well off, the changing of one god to another was not an inexpensive thing and not done lightly. While she could have asked one of the older nobles here for the answer she knew that was likely to be considered cheating by whoever sent the note.

Seeing nothing to help her get answers she walked even deeper into the temple. Spiders scurried from her light as she ventured into the cold. No fires where lit along the walls and the crash of thunder overheard echoed in the empty halls. With midnight fast approaching she walked faster, making note of every turn and hallway she passed so she would be sure to find her way back.