Chapter 4

"There is a matter of delicately we need to discuss. The disappearance of Prince Uriah is causing the fragile health of the Hittite King to deteriorate rapidly. King Baleck sent me a message pleading for our assistance in the search for his son."

Briseis looked up from the figures she was calculating. Her father was sipping wine and gazing at the sunset from her balcony.

"What assistance does he believe we can provide? Prince Uriah has been missing for half a year." And in Briseis humble opinion was no great loss for the Hittites. Prince Uriah used his position and money to drink, throw wild parties and entertain his friends with as many women as he could buy.

"Don't be coy, Briseis. I know you've developed a network of spies to bring you information. The gods know why. I dislike all the sneaking around."  

"I'm not the one doing the sneaking," she reminded her father. "The world is changing. I need that information if we're to stay ahead of the Hittite ploys. I'm not ordering assassins or planning to topple kingdoms, I merely gather information that's useful."      

"What do your agents say of the prince?" Her father asked while taking a seat beside her. Briseus broke some bread and put cheese on it. Briseis found the modest dinner they were taking together peaceful, something that happened too seldom in recent days.

"I have no information besides what everyone already knows. Prince Uriah was last seen at his brother's ascension ceremony. I swear I know nothing more. For King Baleck's sake I hope his son returns before the king passes on."

"You would tell me if you had information wouldn't you?"

"Of course. It's no benefit to me to keep that information to myself." At least at the moment. "The prince probably snuck off with some mistress. As soon as he tires of her I'm sure he'll return. Or perhaps he'll hear rumors of his father's ill health and rush back."

"You sound displeased," Briseus poured himself another goblet of wine.

"The dynamics of the Hittite royal family hold no interest for me."

"You are sour that Prince Nolk asked for your hand again." Briseus poured them some more wine.

That was something of a true statement. Briseis sent Nolk a message after his last proposal directly outlining in the most polite, but clear and firm language, why she was an unacceptable bride. He waited a few months before answering her letter and that answer was to say he didn't care and must have her to wife. To make matters worse, he'd sent that message in the hands of Ambassador Ahimelech so her father once again was playing host to the scum.    

Her distaste for Ambassador Ahimelech aside, even if she had been a ripe marriage prospect she wouldn't be marrying that foreign prince. It wasn't that Nolk was unattractive, cruel, or too old but Briseis couldn't stand him. His vapid conversation, love of exotic wines, and unending attention to his physical appearance set her teeth on edge. If Briseis were to marry him no doubt she'd have an unending headache for fifty years.   

"You're so much like him," the king muttered lowly.

"Who?"

"My brother, Christos," Briseus said fondly. Much like the Hittites, Pedasus had its own lost son. Briseus and Christos were twins, with her father being the firstborn. Providence decreed that Briseus would inherit the kingship and its responsibilities, while Christos was expected to do everything in his power to secure his brother as king.   

From the few stories Briseis heard he'd done just that. Christos had been commander of the army and navy, served on the council for years before being elevated to that position, and was Briseus' closest confidant. He'd possessed a genius mind if rumors were true. Briseis wouldn't know for Christos disappeared not long before she was born.