Chapter 14

The weariness of Cassandra was evident as she poured herself another goblet of warm wine. Her eyes sat above dark circles and her body shook as she lifted the goblet. Defeated. That was the best word to describe how Cassandra looked. Hecuba had told everyone her daughter was insane and a drunk. Though Briseis wasn't sure about the insane part of that claim, Cassandra being a drunk was certainly true.

    Cassandra slowly drank one entire pitcher of wine before she began her story. Kegarta sat bored tending to the fire while Briseis was held at rapt attention. Clarity was in Cassandra's eyes which Briseis hadn't seen in their limited time together. Cassandra sat down her goblet and began her story.

    "It was many years ago. I was about your age. Things seemed so bright back then. I was full of promise, the only daughter of a mighty king." Cassandra sighed heavily and turned so that she stared into the fire.  "My mother was happily arranging my marriage to a minor man of royalty. I knew I would likely be sent off so some kingdom or other. But to be sent to so minor a house when my brothers were getting grand arrangements? I was insulted. How could I be expected to take a step down from what I was due as the only daughter of Troy? The young are often headstrong and assume they are full of wit. If I could turn back time as easily as I see the future I'd warn myself to take the marriage and be happy." 

    Cassandra shook her head and took another gulp of wine. Brisies noticed Kegarta had almost opened her mouth to say something when Cassandra claimed she could see the future, luckily the girl stayed silent. Briseis wanted to hear what the woman would say. Something in her soul was urging her to hear Cassandra out. 

    "I made my displeasure known to both my mother and father. Father seeing how unhappy I was took my side, but mother. She called me an ignorant child and told me in no uncertain terms that I would become that man's bride. As is our tradition the Queen in Troy is responsible for all major marriages within the city, her family, the minor lords, and nobles; none can challenge her in this matter. All you can do is plead your case and hope it turns her heart. Even though my father took my side in this matter he was powerless to change it. 

    Two months before the wedding the man arrived. Seeing him in the flesh didn't do anything to reassure me about my fate. Though he didn't seem a cruel man he wasn't handsome. I found him repulsive though the judgment of my younger self was too unkind. I understand you are picky of the man you will marry as you have reached twenty years and have no groom."

    Briseis cut a slice of bread for herself. "I am picky but the reason I have no husband is that I am unable to bear children. I was engaged to one of your brothers for a number of years but he broke off the marriage when more and more time passed without my blood appearing."

    "Which of my brothers did you such a dishonor?"

    Brisies shook her head. "It's not a dishonor but a necessary act. A woman must provide her husband a child, the higher the rank her husband holds the more that pressure increases. Even a prince that won't inherit the throne is expected to have a gaggle of children. Truth be told, I cannot remember which of your brothers it was. My mother would know but it's so far in my past I care not to remember. My concerns these days are more important."

    Cassandra snorted. "If a man loves a woman the fact that she is barren should have no weight in his decision to marry her."

    At this Kegarta chimed in. "In a more just world perhaps that would be true but that's not the world we live in."

    "Quite," Briseis said.

    Cassandra just shook her head at their words. "Anyway the day came closer and closer. I was kept under close watch as my mother didn't trust me not to run. One night I had a chance. I decided to run to the temple of Apollo. It was the only way out I could see, to dedicate myself to a god to escape this marriage. I chose Apollo for he is the patron god and I believed that my rank would mean they'd have to accept me without fuss.

    The temple was empty when I arrived. I don't know where everyone was. I prayed to the god to accept me and he appeared. He confessed he was in love with me and I would be his bride. If I have learned anything it's that mortals who fraternize with gods never have happy ends. He didn't take kindly to my rejection and he took me by force. When it was over he expected me to be grateful that he would look on me with such favor."

    Cassandra's face turned hard and her eyes watered. "When I spurned him further he got angry. He cursed me with the gift of prophecy. My prophetic words would always come to pass yet they would not be believed."

    "That's ludicrous," Kegarta cried. "No god would commit such a sin."

    Cassandra fixed her with a cold stare. Very similar to the look Briseis had seen when Hecuba slapped her. "The gods commit such sins every day. They are no better than petulant children. And by the end of both your journeys you will know the truth of my words." 

    Kegarta snorted in disbelief but Brisies felt a stone in her stomach. Cassandra had suffered that much was clear.

    "Your true father fell in love with a goddess Briseis, and it brought him nothing but a swift end."

    Briseis ears burned with the words Cassandra uttered. Only one other knew the contents of the scroll she'd been given by the priest, and yet Cassandra had just spoken what was written there.

    "Kegarta, leave us." Briseis ordered her in a calm voice.