Chapter 25

The creak of the carriage woke Briseis from a dreamless sleep. Oppressive heat had long sent sweat beading over her entire body, her and every member of the party. Kegarta sat on the opposite bench fanning herself but it didn't appear to be doing her any good. Briseis rubbed at her eyes before she was violently jostled from the bench.

    "Ahh," Kegarta was thrown from her seat at the same time. The women ended up in a tangled heap on the floor. "Humph," Kegarta said as the weight of her mistress pressed her into the hard wood. Kegarta's foot jammed into Briseis' ribs, knocking the breath out of her and blurring her vision.

    "Ugh." Briseis pulled herself off her servant. "Are...are you alright?" Her side throbbed and she rubbed at it.

    Kegarta pulled herself up. The girl had a bloodied nose and her eyes were quickly blackening. "I'm fine." The blood gushed from the poor girl's nose without sign of stopping and soaked the front of her dress. Kegarta's nose was flattened and it was obvious the girl was barely holding back tears.

    The door to the carriage opened. "My princess, are you well?" The soldier offered her his hand and Briseis took it.

    "Perfectly well," she groaned as she stepped from the carriage. After he helped Kegarta from the carriage she asked, "what happened?"

    "The ground collapsed under one of the carriage wheels." The soldier pointed to the broken wheel at the front of the carriage just behind the horse on the left. "We'll lose several days making a replacement."

    "Just as well," Briseis said. "Kegarta come to the river, you need to get cleaned up."

    "I feel dizzy," the girl said before collapsing.

    "Kegarta!" Briseis rushed forward but she was too slow. Thankfully the guard caught her just before her head met the ground.

    "She's breathing, Princess," the guard told her.

    Briseis knelt by Kegarta and shook the girl's shoulder lightly. "Awaken."

    "The injury may be serious, my Princess. Her nose is broken." The guard studied Kegarta's face and he seemed resigned to something.

    "That's not a fatal injury," Briseis protested.

    "Under the correct circumstances it can be. Bone fragments could have broken off her facial structure and lodged in her brain. I've seen it before. If that occurred the chances of survival..." he trailed off seeing the look on Briseis' face.

    By now soldiers and attendants were gathering around them. Kegarta's breathing became weezey and labored.

    "Do we have a physician," Briseis asked as panic rose in her spirit.

    "We do," the guard said slowly, "but an injury such as this likely can't—"

    "Get the physician!" She screamed as a group of guards came to look. "You," she pointed to another group men standing around, "gather the best of the food, wine, spices, and half the gold of my dowry and set up an alter."

    The men hesitated. One stepped forward and gulped. "My Princess, your dowry is the property of your husband—"

    "Do I look like I care what Mynes wants!" Briseis shrieked. "Are you my servants or aren't you?" A parliament of owls began to flock around Briseis. They landed in the trees, around her feet, and on some of the carts. She was so angry none of the owls vision overtook her own. Some of the horses nickered nervously as the birds grew more numberous. They weren't the only ones who were nervous, the guards too eyed the birds with distrust. "Do as I commanded!" At her last word all the owls screeched as one.