|| Chapter Forty-Two: Vulnerability ||

----

Guide:

(Y/n)=(Your/name)

{Word Count: 1,588}

----

Monokuma's P.O.V.

The substantial high school was taller than any buildings in the lively, urban area. It was almost as though the school was located at the center of the world.

Hope's Peak Academy.

It brought in elite students from almost every sort of field imaginable. It was a government-funded school of absolute privilege.

Some people said that if you came to this school and graduated, you'd be set for life. Only the best could work here at this school, so consider yourself lucky if you even got to go inside of it. It was built to raise hope in the nation's future; which made Hope's Peak a suitable name.

In order to attend this refined school, you must have two things. Number one, you had to already be in high school. Number two, you must had been the very best at what you did. Not just any ordinary student could attend Hope's Peak Academy; the only way in was if you were selected by the school itself.

Standing there at the gate of an elite school filled with all sorts of astounding, ultimate students was me.

?N̶̯̬̍̑̃͒̒̔͐̚̚͝ả̸͚͇͇̆͘m̷̨͕͈̜͙͒̋͗̓͛̀̏̚ę̸̻̭̫̦̯̣̬͑̽ ̵̛͙̲̥̽́̍͒̒̌͑̈͠U̵̝͙̻͊̽̊̔̑͆̅̐ǹ̸̛̼̯͍̗͊̂̋̂̽̈́̉̋k̸̩̻̰̣̥̅̇̄̍̋̌̓̀͠n̵͖̭̜̥͉̖͖̜͈̒̑̏͑ō̵̢͕̈́̒̀͋̓͘͝ͅw̵͚͕̠̯͚̟̪̦̋͂̑̃͜ǹ̴͉̙̲̟̀͑?.

Here I was, only a step away from walking into the most famous school in the world. I sucked in a breath, running a hand through my pure white hair as I ignored the intimidation I felt from just staring at the school. Everything here felt incorrect. Standing here now felt...wrong.

Of course it was wrong.

I'm not supposed to be here.

When I reached my hand out to cross the other side of the gate, I felt as a searing pain began to eat away at me deep within my chest. It hurt to know that I was not allowed to cross this gate. What separated me from my dream was an invisible wall set up by my lack of talent.

That's what I was. Nothing but a talentless bum.

As I retracted my hand, that burning pain was replaced with another pain. Pain caused by sorrow, pain caused by disappointment, a pain caused by despair. I drew in a shaky breath and rested my hand on my chest. My fingers grazed past the black tie that was required by dress code, allowing me to notice it was loose around my neck.

Before I turned my back towards the gate leading to the main building of Hope's Peak Academy, I was sure to tighten my black tie, colour darker than a mysterious forest, and adjust it properly against my neck.

My loafers pounded against the concrete as I began to walk away. Dejection held heavy on my heart and I could feel it weighing me down. All I wanted was to be talented. All I wanted was to be special. I didn't want to be boring like this anymore, I would give anything to be anything other than that.

Everyday, looking into the mirror to see that boring monochrome uniform staring back at me was like a form of mockery. Having to walk past the building filled to the brim like an overflowing bucket of water with talented individuals was a subtle form of torture. Each day I was reminded of how stupid and talentless I was. My status as a reserve course student was like a cycle of abuse each day.