awake

Sophie lays wide awake, unable to fall asleep. She tosses and turns, tangling herself in the sheets. And it's all of a sudden too hot, too suffocating.
Despite how she wishes it hadn't happened, despite how much she hates him, she can't help but revisit the kiss. How it felt in his arms, the feel of his lips against hers.
"Oh no," Sophie groans quietly, burying her face into the quilt.
She knows she'll never hear the end of it from him. Is it too late to relocate hotels?

Sophie decides she needs a breath of fresh air, a moment away from her memory soaked pillow.
She steps onto the balcony and breathes in the silent city scape, twinkling with nighttime activity.
The air is chilly, flooding her lungs and brushing over her bare arms.

"Can't sleep?"
Sophie jumps, startled. The voice came from above.
She leans against the railing and turns her face upward. Another balcony juts out just above hers. On it, rests Nikki, unlit cigarette poised at his lips, the flame from a lighter flickering in the breeze.
Sophie's cheeks flush red as she realises how little she's wearing. Although she's sure Nikki is probably used to a lot less than a nightdress.
"Goodnight," she says abruptly.

She turns away from the view, from Nikki. She closes the sliding door behind her and climbs back into bed. What a mistake it was to believe things might be resolved by talking. Instead, she'd taken drugs. She was too stupid to think Nikki would actually want to talk it over. Would he have tried, if they hadn't gotten high?
Now more than ever, Sophie wishes he'd leave.