some type of way

Bright and early, Sophie awakes to Claire's freckled face resting upon her shoulder. She must have found the good grace to forgive her, then.
Carefully, she eases herself out from under Claire, creeping out of the room so as not to wake her. She keeps to the kitchen for the next hour as everybody sleeps. As quietly as she can manage, she mixes a rich pancake batter in a large bowl, enough to go around twice.

When she was very young, her father taught her how to make chocolate chip pancakes. It was one of those rare occasions when he wasn't swamped with work, so she'd remembered every second of it. She remembers the recipe off by heart, feels his guiding voice beside her.
She would have only been four, her father 16 years her senior. He was almost as clueless as she was at the time, but he always tried his best to be a good father to her.
She didn't have anyone to teach her the things she'd have learned from a mother, but her father tried his best. And when he didn't have the time, he hired a nanny to stand in for a mother figure.
Sophie once had a step mother but she left quickly after realising that rich business men have to work gruelling hours in order to be rich, and that she'd have to babysit Sophie.
So, Sophie grew up quickly, teaching herself mostly everything she needed. That included manipulating people to do her bidding, because it made survival easier.

Sophie stops stirring for a moment, her breath suddenly very shallow, and her throat tight.
Before her eyes dare water, she draws a well practiced smile onto her face.

"Hey, you look cheerful."
Sophie starts, nearly dropping her mixing spoon. She hadn't noticed another of the bridesmaids tiptoeing in.
"I just came to grab a glass of water and go back to sleep, but here you are making breakfast."
"Sorry, did I wake you?"
The girl shakes her head, half smiling.
"No, but it's only seven. The girls won't be up for another hour, maybe you should go back to bed as well."
Sophie shakes her head.
"That's alright, I have plenty to do."
"Okay, then. Sometimes it's nice having the morning to yourself, isn't it?"
Sophie smiles.
"Exactly."
The girl whose name Sophie doesn't know fills a glass with water and returns in the direction she came. Usually those girls are too intimidated to talk to her without being in a public setting. Perhaps the sight of Sophie doing something so normal made it easier. She's glad.

After serving stacks of pancakes to the flock of bridesmaids as they stagger into the living area, Sophie gets ready for a day out.
Claire says they'll be dress shopping for the wedding. And of course, out of all the bridesmaids, Sophie has executive decision.
For once, they aren't shopping through Claire's line, so there'll be a broader range to choose from.
They won't admit it, but most of the girls are glad. Sometimes the one aesthetic gets tiring.
By midday, the most popular dress with the bridesmaids seems to be a slim silver piece with pearlescent trims. Sophie isn't fond of it, but the way Claire's eyes lit up when she saw them all lined up in the dress was undeniable.
But light as the mood is compared to yesterday's, Sophie can't help thinking back to Naya. The thought makes her chest squeeze with guilt again.

"Are you alright?" Claire asks aside.
"Fine," Sophie replies with a pretend smile. "Just a little tired, that's all."
Claire doesn't believe it. Especially when Sophie drinks four glasses of wine that night.