change of heart

"You okay?"
Nikki's voice floats down from the balcony above. Sophie refuses to answer, sealing her lips firmly.
She can't believe he'd caught her at a moment like that. She feels humiliated and she'd rather not talk about the incident, let alone to him.

"Look, just say you're fine and I can piss off."
Sophie doesn't speak.
"Don't make me climb down," warns Nikki, the hint of a smile in his voice.
Sophie despises the tease in his words, the glimmer of play that always seemed to be there.
She chooses to block him out, instead watching the city lights wink.

"All you have to say is 'yeah, Nikki. I'm great. Bye-bye, Nikki. Also nice ass, Nikki. You must do lots of squats.'  That's all I need to hear. Then I'll go away."

He rolls his eyes at her stubborn silence.
"Shall I just talk to myself then?"
"Seems like you already are."

Nikki laughs, glad he'd finally gotten a reply.
"Hey, I'm sorry if I overstepped. I didn't mea-"
"Just stay away from me, Nikki," She cuts in, voice as cold and unwelcoming as she can muster.  

She stands, taking in the view for a second before turning her back on it.
Nikki sighs as the shadowy silence creeps back in.
But it isn't long before Vince's voice slices through it.
"Come inside, man. There's more of those fuckers in here for therapy."

Nikki groans. Lately, a ton of people had been showing up at the penthouse, banging on and on about some sort of renowned counselor. They wouldn't find one in the penthouse, the four men there already needed at least one counselor for themselves.

Below, Sophie climbs into bed, listening to the quietness of her room, more aware of the lack of light and warmth company brings than usual.
She pretends that she doesn't care, that she'd rather be alone. Until a soft knock sounds at her door.
She tumbles out of her quilts and walks to the door, feet padding gently on the ground. Even if it's room service, she might invite them in.

"Hi, is this a bad time?"
Naya stands in the rich-coloured hall, holding a small cardboard box as the light from the hall floods into the suite.
Surprised, Sophie stands aside.
"Of course not, come in!"

"Were you sleeping?" Naya laughs, glancing pointedly at her rumpled clothes.
"No, I couldn't seem to."
Naya bumps her shoulder gently.
"Sorry for dropping in, I was just so bored at home. I thought I'd come over."

She places the box in front of the tv.
"And I brought cake. And a film. And wine."

Sophie's chest hums with happiness.
None of her friends ever come over for an impromptu girls' night in.
"I'm so glad you're here, actually. I'm withering in this place."

Naya laughs as she slings her shoulder bag onto the ground, unpacking a tall bottle of wine.

"You'll look young even when you're eighty. Shall we dig in?"
"Sure, let me call up some wine glasses for us."
"Oh, let's not bother the staff. We could just drink out of the bottle."

A little alarmed at the lack of class, but also a little impressed, Sophie nods and sinks to the floor, cross-legged.

"What are we watching?"