Simula

I gave a wide smile for the photo that would probably be seen years after today in my timeline. Daddy insisted on more takes, so I gave in. It was a special occasion, after all.

My younger brother, on the other hand, seemed bored. My two elder siblings looked preoccupied. I couldn't complain, I knew how much attention their works need. It was a miracle that they came here on time considering they live miles away.

"Congrats, bebe." Kuya Eli, my second oldest sibling, told me before kissing my left cheek. "Thanks, Kuya."

"Galing mo, bebe." This time, it was kuya Ed, my eldest sibling, who greeted me. "Thank you, Kuya." He smiled and kissed me on my right cheek.

"Congrats, Ate." I crouched so that Eve would kiss me. He was my younger brother.

Yup. I was the only girl in the family. Literally. Mommy died of breast cancer last year, so I was the remaining female in the house. It had been lonely during the first few months. Good thing Daddy was staying sane, or else, all of us would collapse without anyone saving us.

"Follow the car, Eli, Ed, since you guys don't know the way to the restaurant," tumango ang dalawa kong nakatatandang kapatid at naglakad na papunta sa kani-kanilang kotse.

Eve and I walked with Daddy to the Fortuner. He signaled us to pray with him before he drove. It had always been a thing for our family. We weren't saints, but we do believe in God and try to be good people. So, even kuya Ed and Eli pray before they drive anywhere. It was an assurance. It was a promise that we would be safe as long as we abide by the rules and lift every other factor to the man above.

"Congratulations, Eloise," Daddy told me as he swerved the car. "Thanks, Dad."

"Extremely proud of you," I gave him a soft look. "That means a lot, Dad."

"Open the glove compartment, my gift's in there."

In a giddy manner, I looked and found a beautiful small box. Opening it, I couldn't help but smile. It was definitely not my first time receiving a gift. But when it was from Daddy or Mommy, I was very enthusiastic about it. They just know me well. So, I knew I'd love anything they gave me.

I saw a green pendant with an engraving at the back.

Eloise Danielle

Grinning, I looked at Dad again and saw him have a satisfied look. I took the necklace and put it on my neck. It looked great in my outfit! I was wearing a pink dress right now.

"How does it look, Daddy?" I sounded like a child, but I didn't care. I would always be daddy's bebe girl, as he liked to call me.

"Beautiful, like your mother." My smile slowly goes down. That phrase made me miss Mommy. "She told me she's happy," I chuckled.

Dad had this way of talking whenever he knew my siblings and I missed Mommy. He'd talk as if she was still here. He'd talk as if she never left. Maybe, she never did. I could still feel her, through Daddy and my brothers anyway. Maybe she is.

"Congrats again, Eloise. Here's my gift." Kuya Eli suddenly hugged me when he got into the restaurant before handing me a paper bag. "It's your favorite, I know it is. I remember you begging me recently to buy it for you."

I took out the gift, and my eyes enlarged. Agad kong niyapos si kuya Eli. "Super thank you, Kuya!"

He got me Shari Lapena's latest book! Shari was my favorite author of all time! She wrote amazing thrillers and mystery novels. And, I haven't had the chance to buy her new release because I was saving up for a shoe I badly wanted to buy.