Kapitulo 30

After a year in college, I knew I was far from where I needed to be—but I also moved forward more than I thought I would. 

The beginning for me was taking my head out of the sand. This was how I moved towards where I needed to be. Still, I don't know where I was exactly headed at. But I knew I was slowly knowing who I was and what I want better. One step, one day.

And, who would've thought that the person who'd help me take my head from the sand was Graham? The guy who I once thought to be a pervert.

"Go on," my Spanish professor urged.

I was in class right now, learning a new language for the summer. It was the third week of June and rain was constant nowadays.

"Soy Eloise, vivo en la Batangas y estudio en la Universidad de Filipinas. Soy un estudiante de segundo año entrante y estudio una licenciatura en estudios de desarrollo."

My professor wrote down my score for that recitation and called another student to translate another phrase.

I applied for midyear—a summer class—since I wanted to stay in Manila so that I could always see Graham. Kuya Eli and kuya Ed wanted me to go back to Batangas since they also filed a leave to go back. But I reasoned out that I wanted to learn a new language—they bought it. Well, gusto ko naman talaga matutong mag-Spanish, sadiyang kasama lang sa benefits ng pag-aaral ng bagong lengguwahe ang pagkikita namin ni Graham ng mas madalas.

"For tomorrow's lecture, kindly read the reading I assigned in the syllabus. Tomorrow, we'll have a recitation again, and on Friday, we'll have a quiz about tenses." The professor said before leaving the room.

I left the classroom and went to the kiosk that sells pancit canton. I was craving it since last night because I saw an Instagram story of my old schoolmate eating pancit canton.

"Isa pong chilli-mansi na may fried egg," tumango ang tindera ng kiosk at binayaran ko siya.

As I waited for my food, I took out my phone and messaged Graham to ask if he was coming today.

Dayang: bub, pupunta ka ba?

"Ma'am, ito po," kinuha ko ang pagkain ko at tumungo sa condo unit ko.

I ate lunch and waited for Graham's reply. But he wasn't opening my message, baka busy. I decided to go to España to study for tomorrow's class.

It was a quiet afternoon in the cafe, the hot dark coffee made the ventilated room cozy. Nag-aral ako ng dalawang oras at naisipang puntahan si Lara. I knew she was at home today because we were talking last night, sabi niya mag-aayos siya ng mga gamit niya para sa pagpunta nilang Kyoto bukas.

I opened the GC of my friends and me to tell Lara I'd go to her.

William: nomi before u go to the land where the sun rises @Lara

captain barbell: okay but can we do it at home na lang?? i dont wanna fix up anymore

Franko Cruz: lets gooo

William: @Eloise dani u down?

It's been a while since his confession and we've been okay again. It wasn't the same as before, but I knew he was still a friend I could talk to if I needed one.

Sabi niya rin, he was dating a new girl he met recently. So, I think we'd be closer again in time.