Kapitulo 7

I tried to shrug off the annoyance I had felt after that afternoon but failed. I knew for a fact that the problems of the protestors weren't because of the policemen. However, I still felt... the indifference between the policemen and protestors. Maybe I was overthinking; maybe I was biased. After all, I've always loved daredevils in films more than goody-two-shoes.

"If I didn't study for the econ exam, then I'll fail."

Right now, Lara was helping me study for a math quiz we were going to have.

I nodded at my friend's words. Tungkol sa logic ang pinag-aaralan namin, at sinusubukan niyang ituro sa 'kin ang basics bago ang mga complex equations ng mga sentences dahil 'di ako mabilis maka-gets sa math.

"Kanina pa lumilipad isip mo," puna ni Lara habang binababa niya ang papel niyang hawak. "Sorry, medyo... lutang lang talaga after drinking with Mari."

"Alam ba ng mga Kuya mo na you drank kagabi?" umiling ako. Lara let out a disappointed breath and continued to teach me.

"Lara, ano'ng tingin mo sa mga pulis?"

Rather than continuing to review, I was diving into my most recent doubt. Kasalanan 'to ng prof namin.

"What do you mean?"

"Like, what do you think of them? You think they're mighty and... just?"

"I think they do their job, sometimes they don't. They're just like any other employee out there, why?"

"Kanina kasi, after our class, sabi ng prof, 'di ba, we shouldn't be indifferent? Kasi that causes poverty?" Lara nods. "Well, when we went to RobMan, we saw protestors outside DOJ, and we saw policemen. I..." I let out a frustrated sigh before continuing. "I'm just pissed."

"Pissed at who? Our prof? The police? Or the protestors?"

"Myself and... the police. I know that they were just doing their jobs every time we walked by them. But seeing them... so... normal while there were people trying to fight for their rights and justice made me... sort of angry."

"And, you know you're being unfair, that's why you're pissed at yourself."

I nodded. "You're right, they are just doing their jobs. They are just protecting the numerous government officers within DOJ. They are just protecting the image of the DOJ by staying calm under pressure from protestors. But... isn't that indifference?"

"They were being professional, Eloise. I don't think they were indifferent."

"Yeah... I know... I don't even know why I thought they were."

"Me too, between us, you're the unemotional one towards social issues. Makes me think why you ever took DevStud."

"It was what piqued my interest. When I was applying, I thought DevStud was like... political economy. I didn't like any science program here, even though it was a medicine-centered place. I could've gotten PolSci, but it had a ton of math, like hardcore math. And, you know I'm not great with numbers."

"You might be transitioning. Our profs are very passionate towards so many noble causes, baka naimpluwensiyahan ka nang hindi mo napapansin."

"Baka..."

"You know, Gray is also passionate about social issues, especially about the judicial system."

"Si Graham? Talaga?"

"Oo, don't tell him I told you, but the reason why is that his older brother died in jail before a ruling came to be. He was really angry as a kid back then. At some point, he was mean toward everyone."