3

"Well look who it is. Nice to finally meet you."

Not looking up from the knife and sharpening stone, Layla sees a pair of boots in front of her. "Name's Sledge."

She stands up, holstering the knife in an arm guard. She looks up at a tall Brit, seeing a gas mask over his face, muffling his words.

She stands up, shaking his hand before looking at the building in front of them.

"Thirty seconds before action phase."

Checking the mags in their holsters, Layla makes sure there were only fake rounds. She tosses a drone, letting it roll across the ground while grabbing her phone.

Making a mental map in her head, Layla takes count of the people inside.

'Caveira, Tachanka, Clash, Capitāo, and a recruit. Then there's me, Sledge, Thermite, Finka, and Gridlock.'

"So, leader. Plan?"

Layla cocks the slide of her gun back, chambering a round into the gun. "Three go in loud, create distraction. Two go in at the entry point at furthest dormer window. Defuser goes dormer along with guard."

Everyone nods, Finka and Gridlock taking the defuser.

"Five seconds remaining."

They all nod, preparing for the fight.

4

3

2

1

"Attackers are released."

Finka immediately surges, Layla's heart pumping as her legs carried her faster than before. Thermite puts a charge on the garage door, Layla hiding behind the brick wall alongside Sledge. Thermite steps back, clicking the trigger.

"One really big fucking hole, coming right up."

A loud explosion goes off, Layla tensing. She grabs two flashbangs, throwing them in just as bullets started to fly. The gunfire stops, Layla leading the way into the garage.

She sees two people, the recruit and Capitão. She fires at Capitão, landing a few hits in his chest. Recruit was next, falling at Thermite's hands. The trio moves forward. Getting to the living room, they immediately hunker down as the loud sounds of gunfire continued.

The wall shreds above Layla, the woman being showered in plaster and wood. She winces, hands flying to her ears. She was nudged, her helmet angling towards Sledge.

There was a moment of silence as her hearing fades, seeing white powder explode over his mask and across his chest.

He flops back, Layla scurrying back and into an untouched corner as the powder bullets tore through the seemingly thin materials. She peeks through her hands as the visor blocked out the flying debris, hands falling at her sides.

'Colonel?'

An older man was laying where Sledge was, blood and dirt caking his still form as the background shifted to the hot desert.

People were scattered around, bullet holes riddled them, blood seeping into the sand. Slowly raising a hand, Layla sees her hand covered in blood. She wipes it on her pants, panicking as people crossed the ridge.

She scurries back, leaning against the turned-over Jeep. The sounds of gunfire continued, Layla sucking in a breath as she checked the magazine of the M4.

"Come on!"

She screams, peaking around the corner of the Jeep and firing.

Miss