6

"Team one, you're going to go building by building and look for civilians. Team two is going to draw the attention of the White Masks. Once you're Six blocks North, wait five minutes after the initial shots. Ten if you feel like the coast isn't clear. Are we clear?" Everyone nods, Layla holstering the knife she was clutching.

Standing next to Lion who was on her team, she gives him a nod. He nods back, the two waiting for their team.

Zofia, Caveira, Glaz, and Castle join them, the six waiting by the front with Ash.

"Good luck."

A long silence fills the already uneasy atmosphere, Layla ducking out of the building and into the open street. Zofia and Glaz were quick to follow while the other three were seemingly reluctant. Layla ducks behind a car pileup as a squad of masks roll across the street in a pair of Jeeps. Layla looks over at her group, seeing they had taken cover too.

'They are already this close. Not good.'

A low wind picks up, ruffling Layla's pants as she slowly lifts her LMG in case she needed to fire. Her heart pounds in her ears, blood pumping as her adrenaline spiked. Her grip on the gun tightens, the raven slowing her shaky breath. The group kept going, passing right through the intersection and disappearing.

A relieved sigh escapes her as Layla slowly stands, keeping her eyes on the corner they passed. She zips over, quickly peaking past the corner with a mirror she had to see if they had moved on. Watching the Jeeps turn down a different street, Layla signals for the group to come over. "They're already this close," Castle hisses, gripping his shotgun.

"Move slow," says Glaz. "We don't want to draw attention yet."

They cross the intersection, slowly making their way through the streets of Paris.

Looking up over the roofs of the buildings, Layla pauses. Finally taking note of the giant metal tower standing over all of the buildings, Layla flips her visor up.

"New to the sight?"

She scoffs. "Hardly. Just taking to account how bad damage would be if team two didn't stop bomb." She sees Lion's motions grow more robotic.

"Comforting," grumbles Zofia. "Keeps blood pumping and brain thinking. Makes me work harder for different outcome."

"Like what?"

"City isn't destroyed and we go home without scratch."

The group continue forward, getting to their established point. Layla points to a car, rushing to the driver's side. She looks around, seeing no keys so she gets under the steering column. "What are you doing?"

She pops the plastic cover off, yanking two wires out and cutting them. "You're hijacking a car?"

"Need escape. Pay later."

The car revs to life, Layla now sitting in the driver's seat while the others pile in. "This is a mistake."

Grabbing her pistol, Layla shoots off a few rounds before peeling out of the parking space. She drives down a few blocks, checking the rearview mirror to see the Jeeps from before now rushing towards them.

Immediately flooring the gas pedal, Castle who was in the passenger seat grips the handle above the door with his other hand planted on the dashboard.

Caveira was emotionless as ever, Zofia and Glaz chuckling as they were flung around the car. Lion was stuffed in the back and was holding onto the seatbelt.

Shots fire, bullets whizzing by and hitting the side mirrors. Layla whips around the corner, tires squealing over the paved roads. "Who the hell taught to drive like this," screams Castle. "I like her," Glaz says. "Me too," Caveira follows up with. "You're going to get us killed!"

More gunshots go off, glass shatters, chunks of bricks fall, cement cracks and chips, and metal rips apart.

Swerving around another corner, Layla sees an alley. Castle seems to spot it too, eyes widening. "Oh no. Please, don't-"

Swerving the car, her tires skid as she slams on the brake, the car skidding sideways. Gassing it once again, smoke runs behind them as Layla rolls down the alley. Getting a few streets over, Layla slows down to a halt. Looking at the group, she nods. They pile out, Lion and Castle sitting on the ground.

"Oh get up. Babies."

Slinging her LMG over a shoulder, Layla walks over to a building with overturned metal furniture and forgotten food, running a gloved hand over the handle of a stroller.

Her hands clench into fists, looking at the group. "What now?"

A heavy silence fills the still atmosphere, Glaz lifting his head. "Hunter becomes hunted."

----------

Looking up from her red dot and to Zofia who was just across from her, Layla gives the woman a nod.

"Point A clear."

"B clear."

"Point C clear."

"Point D clear."

Seconds slowly tick by, a single shot going off. Layla grips the handle of her gun, bipod resting on the window sill.

A low rev sounds through the still air, and Layla turns right just as a Jeep rolls down the road.

It slowly meanders down the pavement, growing closer and closer to the trap set by the group. It slows to a stop, a couple of Masks hopping out with their guns resting in front of them. "Scan the area," one shouts, the group fanning out. "Fire."

Loud gunshots ring through the air, Layla tensing as her gun hammers into her shoulder repeatedly.

Flashes of a burning hot desert run through her mind, blood covering her body as people in matching uniforms were gunned down. Haunting screams fill her mind, matching the ones of anguish and pain just outside as the White Masks were gunned down.

Layla stumbled back, gripping her kevlar vest tightly in one hand while dropping her gun at her feet. "Oh, God."

Her back collides with a railing just behind her, Layla shaming her head before grabbing a frag and pulling the pin. "Frag out," she screams, Zofia following up with her grenade. The two toss them, loud explosions going off seconds later. The Jeeps burst into flames, people jumping out as they attempted to put themselves out.

They were quickly taken care of by Glaz, Castle, and Zofia, Layla slumping against the wall with her gun in her lap. The air was once again quiet, the only sound is that of the fire raging outside, an orange glow covering the brick outside.

"Move out."

Slowly pulling herself up, Layla trudges out of the building she was in. Now taking in the full scene, Layla takes a step back as she grips her head. "You okay?" Giving a slow nod, Layla walks away from the grizzly sight as she reloads her gun.

'Don't start now.'